Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21,698 Posts
In defense of YouTube: Seeing it done on YouTube helps a lot of us build up the confidence to try something new, or above our present pay grade. And yes, there's a lot of questionable stuff there. What's implied is, who cares about your suggestions unless you're out in the shop and have done it. And of course, there's a lot of old guys and gals who are retired, but spent years making stuff.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Most youtube video woodworking projects never bother to mention how much a project costs. Many show how a thing can be done, but not always the best (smartest) way that thing should be done.

I have students now who rather than ask their instructor (me) how to do a thing they get out their phones and search youtube for a way. That's OK if they stumble across a good way to do the thing, but trouble if the quickie solution was inappropriate for their project.

I'm a Kansan, and see the wisdom of the signs above. Not quite a clear subject though.

4D

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
Good work, Mark, but I'm curious why the one on the right bled outside the letters and the one on the left didn't. I can see the letters are deeper and thicker but just curious if you used a different technique, medium, drying time, etc...

I've had I happen to me a couple of times so I'm wondering if the left one was second and you changed something after doing the one on the right.

David

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Most youtube video woodworking projects never bother to mention how much a project costs. Many show how a thing can be done, but not always the best (smartest) way that thing should be done.

I have students now who rather than ask their instructor (me) how to do a thing they get out their phones and search youtube for a way. That's OK if they stumble across a good way to do the thing, but trouble if the quickie solution was inappropriate for their project.

I'm a Kansan, and see the wisdom of the signs above. Not quite a clear subject though.

4D
Please see my post:

https://www.routerforums.com/lobby/135189-different-ways-skin-cat.html#post1950667

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.