Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an award I was asked to build and paint. I don't have a good place to paint, no spray booth, so that means rattle can outside. I don't mind spraying clear lacquer in my shop but I don't want paint overspray on everything. Honestly, I don't want to do any of this but they needed it quickly and I agreed - ugh!

The flames are painted with an air brush so that was done in the shop under better conditions but painting a Pine board in rattle can black gloss isn't easy. I started to run a long hose outside and use my HVLP gun but thought I'd give this a shot. It came out ok if you don't look very closely. They'll cover the entire front with brass 1" x 3" name plates of the winners of the contest this represents anyway so the black not being perfect shouldn't matter. The piece is 56" tall and 12" wide.

The sample sketch as provided -

Finished piece -

Enjoy!
David

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that should get some attention...

Reactions: difalkner

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Nice job, but surprising. The military does have carpenters and engineers, and I have never heard of anything along these lines done anywhere except 'in-house'.

·
Administrator
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty darn good for rattle can painting. Is it a bobming range/school?
Thanks, Tom! It's 2 coats of primer and about 4 coats of gloss black, wet sanded between each coat. The closer you get the worse it looks - everything has a proper viewing distance. You're out west, right? That's a good viewing distance - LOL!

Nice job, but surprising. The military does have carpenters and engineers, and I have never heard of anything along these lines done anywhere except 'in-house'.
Thanks, Theo! BAFB has a hobby shop complete with CNC and laser engraving but I often quote jobs they can't do or won't do. I didn't ask if the hobby shop quoted on this one.

David

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Thanks, Theo! BAFB has a hobby shop complete with CNC and laser engraving but I often quote jobs they can't do or won't do. I didn't ask if the hobby shop quoted on this one.
Well, it's been all day since I retired, and things do change. They had hobby shops when I was in, but just for troop use, they didn't do any repairs, sign making, or whatever. All the bases I was on had carpenter sections, for making repairs, and whatall, and they would have done things like you did, for no cost, wouldn't have farmed anything out. But, as I said, things change, and sounds like you have a good deal going there.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Nice job David . Pretty impressive work on the flames considering what your up against .
I think it would have been neat if it had fins on the sides and one in the middle . Just a thought

·
Administrator
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BAFB? Barksdale AFB, Bossier City, LA? My father was stationed there during the big one.
Yes sir, that's the one. Thank you for his service!!

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.