Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the Vectric user conference we received a thumb drive of all the presentations and project files. One file that I liked was the Aztec calendar. I thought it would make a good clock so I cut it from Corian and mounted a small clock movement. My wife says it looks like it was cut from stone. I'm toying with the idea of darkening the background to make the design pop a little better. It took over 6 hours just to cut the front so I don't want to risk ruining it. It's 11" in diameter.

Jay

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Gee Jay,

You stayed awake and paid attention more than I thought you did!!

Gonna make the rest of us look bad. Darn beer anyway.

HJ

Reactions: Roy Drake

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gee Jay,

You stayed awake and paid attention more than I thought you did!!

Gonna make the rest of us look bad. Darn beer anyway.

HJ
Drank the last of your Corona's last night! There was so much info thrown our way during the conference that I'm surprised I remember as much as I do.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with you that a tonal variation would improve the looks making it look more authentic. But, what would you use? A stain or a paint?

To answer my own question, after considering the material, I would use two different shades of water-based paint. Apply the darker coat first filling in all the crevices then wiping it off leaving only the dark in the deep recesses. After it dries, repeat with the lighter paint and wiping off more than you did with the dark. That should give you two tonal variations on the original.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
I'm toying with the idea of darkening the background to make the design pop a little better. It took over 6 hours just to cut the front so I don't want to risk ruining it. It's 11" in diameter.

Jay]
Try using glaze. You can make it fairly transparent and just apply it and then wipe if off of the surface. The glaze will stay in the carved sections and add an antique look. Glaze is available in colors or you can buy the clear glaze and add whatever color you need. The glaze is water based so you can use craft paints to tint it and clean up is easy.

Reactions: MEBCWD and TenGees

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Where do you get Corian...and what thickness does it come in? I looked around and 1/2 inch thick is all I could find. I wouldn't need a whole sheet! Just a few pieces to experiment with.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Where do you get Corian...and what thickness does it come in? I looked around and 1/2 inch thick is all I could find. I wouldn't need a whole sheet! Just a few pieces to experiment with.
The cabinet company that I do work for, used to make a Corian like material, that is where I got most of my material. They no longer make it. 1/2" thick material is most common, but can be glued together with special adhesive. Check with a local countertop installer, you may be able to pick up some sink cutouts, they work great for a lot of things.

Dave

·
Registered
449 Posts
As Doug said.... we have a counter joint down the block from us.
We've managed a few diff thicknesses in exchange for some metal.
Maybe some cutoffs for a few clams?

On the near equator side of town.....

Wooo... A while back on another forum I grabbed an Aztec file and
Jinkies was it loaded with nodes/anchor points, like almost a million.
I took the liberty of cleaning them up some err almost all and got them
down to <18K I believe. Nodes are a killer, the less the better.

Anyways, try the .EPS file attached, size accordingly.

Importing EPS should work in VC/P

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
Corian source

I found corian on Ebay that I used to make some lithophanes. It was 1/4" and in small 5' x 7" pieces. Larger sizes may be available. Here's a look a lithophane: front lit and then back lit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
The clock is great. I wouldn't use black. Gray or brownish maybe to make it look a little more like stone. I agree that your most likely source would be a countertop maker. Local, and at least 6 nearby where we live. You CNC guys keep tempting me with all those neat projects.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Oh oh ------- If Dr T gets the bug, could Joat be far behind?? hehehe

Reactions: MT Stringer
1 - 20 of 34 Posts