Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am going to get back into using my router again. I had to take more than a year off to combat some medical issues that limited my activity. My plan is instead of trying to use new wood(store bought wood for projects I would use recycled/pallet wood for small projects. The price of new wood and supplies has just gone crazy over the past year so I have had to re-evaluate my strategy.

As a review I have a Rigid Model R29303 fixed/plunge router combo that is about 18 months old and served me well before my break and seems to be ok when I bench tested it here a few days ago, it has the option of 1/2 or 1/4" collets. I also have a shop built router table and fence with a Kreg insert. One of the first things I would like to give a shot is a portable router table that I can use more easily. But that is on the to-do list in the spring.

It is winter here in Canada and I do not unfortunately have a shop at my disposal so the winter will be used for research.

I look forward to reading this forum on a regular basis to see what is up . Thanks for looking in

Regards
Don

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome back Don. A few members use a Workmate for a portable table. The top just sits on the Workmate when you are using it and the bottom side has cleats that fit around the rim of it when it's opened up so that it doesn't slide around. I made a table for my son that had folding table legs under it. Both of those would be portable and take up much less space when not needed. One that wouldn't be portable but would take up minimal space would be a table that hinged to a wall. Just flop it down when you wanted to use it.

Reactions: Danman1957

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Welcome back Don , and sorry to hear about your health issues . I’m 57 and that concerns me too .
Looking forward to seeing what you build . Keep us posted .

Any plans on a design?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am leaning towards, just like Chuck suggested above using a workmate for the base..using a piece of 3/4" MDF shelving or plywood with the fixed router base mounted underneath. There will be 2 cleats fastened on the underside of the top so the jaws of the workmate can clamp and lock the top in place. That's my preliminary design anyway for the moment anyway. Like my profile says "I don't make mistake just a whole lot of prototypes"

Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far. Its good to be back

Don

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chuck. I am thinking of using the workmate with a removable/storage friendly top. Seen a few designs on Pintrest(sp) that has given me some inspiration. The design is festering in my head as we speak

Don

·
Registered
966 Posts
Welcome back Don,

Glad your medical issues are behind you now. Pallet wood is inexpensive but !!!
Did any nasty chemicals spill onto them, I hope you invested in a metal detector, and you will always be left with a bunch of scraps that are only good to burn. Good if you have a wood stove. As far as materials go, isn't there a couple of sawmills in the Peterborough area ? I buy from a local sawmill here in Western Quebec and have not bought wood for woodworking projects from anywhere else in about 10 years. The wood contains a bit more moisture than the big box stores wood but it is still very workable and much less expensive.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
Paul
2,100 Posts
...The price of new wood and supplies has just gone crazy over the past year so I have had to re-evaluate my strategy...
Glad to hear you're doing better, Don.

I find it very satisfying, making things out of 'nothing'. I use scrap material often. I find the price of hardware has soared in recent years as well, so I often stock-up when I find a deal on something that can be used various projects.

Oliver (gaffboat) showed an idea for a fold-down router table that might give you some ideas.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Glad you are doing better and continue to improve with the health issues behind you. They are not mistakes but design modifications.
I have to agree with Dan. A retired truck driver mentioned he would never use pallet wood as you don't know what it has been exposed to. Even burning it would be risky, according to others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.