Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Excellent work Graham. I'm fascinated to know what bits you used and how did you achieve square internal corners.

·
Registered
18,989 Posts
Those signs could easily have been made on a CNC, they're that good. I suspect the straight sides are a little more vulnerable to damage than a sloped edge, but they sure define the shape well. I am also curious about how you managed the texture in the bridal signs, and would like to know what kind of router setup you used?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have the same questions as everyone else. No one touched your painting question so i'm going to give you sort of an obvious answer. If the signs had a flat surface I'd suggest spraying it with whatever color you wanted then sanding back the top to leave the interior of the letters with color. But with your patterned surface I haven't got a clue other than hand painting the inside of the letters. Possibly with different colors for the words and border. I don't really know. Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Opps, sorry Graham, didn't realize you're in Australia. Make that "colour". Visited there once in 1970 on an R & R. Sydney and surrounding area. Absolutely beautiful. I've always regretted that when I had the money I didn't have the time for another visit. Now that I have the time, well ...

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Graham those are really nice looking freehand signs. I think the Bride and Groom signs would look good with the textured part colored and the lettering left alone. Then a good clear coat to seal everything. As far a coloring the textured areas you might check with the bride and see if she would like you to use her wedding colors for the signs.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi David,
Thank you for the compliment. Yes I used a punch for the back ground on the Bride Groom plagues.

Graham

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Tom,
Thank you for compliment. I don't have a CNC I do them all by freehand which I taught myself about 3 or 4 years. The router setup I just used for the bridal signs I have pieces of timber the same thickness of the signs I am doing than I clamp or nail it around the board I am using to router on that way the router cannot tip while I am using it. I just use 6mm and 4mm bit where I can than finish the rest off with a chisel where I can't get with bits that I have. I have to stand up so I have a good control of the router I am using. I use a little old Ryobi router that I had from the early 90s.

Graham

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Harry,
The router bits I used were 6mm and 4mm and rest I finished off with chisel. The square corners if mean on the bridle ones they are just cut square on the table saw than I use a punch to do the back ground. This was a practice run for my brother's wedding next year. I have to stand up to do signs making. I love doing signs and any sort of woodwork but it has been 3 and 4 years since I done any woodwork because of personal issue I nearly gave it all away. Now I had the practice run and I have some new router bits I will be doing a new bridle ones and a turtle with the new router bits I can get right in the corners and narrow parts. I will post the ones as soon as I have made them.

Graham

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Mike,
Thank you for compliment. These are just a practice run for my brother who is getting married next years. I thought I would put it up on here because I new someone on here could help me out. Thanks for your help.

Graham

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hi, Graham.
Those signs are beautiful but I like the turtle the more.
BTW, where "Matador" comes from?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Alexis,
Thanks for the compliment. The Turtle one I have just finish drawing it up the same one but 4 times as big. I am going to test my router skills. I am going to have ago routing out the whole detail of the turtle by free hand. It is going to be a very slow and patient project. I will post the finish project.

Graham

1 - 17 of 17 Posts