Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bad news is the fact that "someone" entered my garage/workshop, they must have been Ridgid fans because they took off with my Ridgid vac and my Ridgid mitre saw. All this despite my door opener having a rolling code. Incidentally, if anyone knows of a device to prevent what I've heard of as "code grabbing" please let me know. I do have a hidden switch that will kill power to my garage because occasionally one of my neighbours opener would hit on my code, but some times the power was left on for short periods of time. For the work I do I can't justify spending the money to buy another Ridgid saw so I am looking at a Makita MAK-LS1040 has any one had experience with this saw. I realize it's not as robust as the Ridgid but at nearly $70 less I can live with that. Oldrusty

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I drilled a hole in the door track and inserted an S hook from an old rubber bungee cord. Door won't open at all!
They probably had a door opener and cruised the street while hitting the button. During the first days of cordless phones, you could cruise a neighborhood until you got a signal. Stop and talk on someone else's line.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
If you're going on holidays, pull the plug on the opener after you've closed everything up. No power; no opening. (That assumes there's an alternate door out of the garage. If there isn't there needs to be one. VOE.)

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Anyone who wants to get into your home bad enough can easily do it. Windows break and they're in. I'm interested in one of the new alarm systems you install yourself, and use through the internet. Anyone have any feedback on that? Motion detectors and lots of light really work to deter most thieves. One thing I do when I'm away is set about 5 timers so they go off and on during the day and evening, and a couple of times during the night in the bathroom. One controls a radio so the noise starts and stops.

But still, occasionally those low life types just walk around a neighborhood ringing doorbells and pretending to be salesmen if someone answers. If no one is home, they just break in.

Nonetheless, sorry that they got some of your tools. They ought to institute capital punishment for tool thieves!

BTW, didn't someone come up with some material with numbered particles you put in or on your tools so they can easily be traced? Can't remember the company.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sorry to hear that you lost your tools. I have long range sensors on both shop doors connected to my home alarm. Smart phone tells me if a door opens or if left open for a set amount of time.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John. Doesn't that defeat the reason for having a remote opener. Will. I would have to be home to respond to a motion detecter. Dan the hidden kill switch does exactly what you suggest but my wife and I don't want to have to go to the switch, some distance away, every time we go to the store. We're not that young anymore. I know I have paid for the convenience but I sure would like to have a safe remote system. Al

·
Registered
74 Posts
John. Doesn't that defeat the reason for having a remote opener. Will. I would have to be home to respond to a motion detecter. Dan the hidden kill switch does exactly what you suggest but my wife and I don't want to have to go to the switch, some distance away, every time we go to the store. We're not that young anymore. I know I have paid for the convenience but I sure would like to have a safe remote system. Al
Motion sensor camera. Catch them on film for the police.

Will

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Sad we live in a society where so many people would rather steal than work. Sadder still is the judicial system that won't hand out meaningful punishment to those that are caught. Sadder still is a government that won't force the judicial system to be more stringent on the no goods caught today. And when the do get to court it can take years for any punishment to be handed down.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I have a Makita chop saw and it's very good. I remember a FWW tool test about sliders from quite a while ago and I think the Makita won it with the DW in at second. I don't think you have too much to worry about if you pick that one. I'm not saying you couldn't do better just that it is not likely to be a mistake.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The Makita is a great miter saw. I have had a Makita compound miter for over 10 years and it is still as good as new and very accurate. As a mater of fact it was the first major wood working tool I bought. From a pawn shop no less.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
The bad news is the fact that "someone" entered my garage/workshop, they must have been Ridgid fans because they took off with my Ridgid vac and my Ridgid mitre saw. All this despite my door opener having a rolling code. Incidentally, if anyone knows of a device to prevent what I've heard of as "code grabbing" please let me know. I do have a hidden switch that will kill power to my garage because occasionally one of my neighbours opener would hit on my code, but some times the power was left on for short periods of time. For the work I do I can't justify spending the money to buy another Ridgid saw so I am looking at a Makita MAK-LS1040 has any one had experience with this saw. I realize it's not as robust as the Ridgid but at nearly $70 less I can live with that. Oldrusty
I sure sympathize with you Al. I am still stinging from the break-in of my house the last week in Jan.
Sure burns a guy up every time they think about it.

I am still working on a Home Owners insurance claim, but by the time the deductible and depreciation get figured , not a whole lot left, but every little bit helps.

I hope all turns out well for you.

Herb

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
No experience with either the Ridgid or Makita, but if you want to save some money, you could try the Mastercraft sliders. I have three of them and quite frankly, for the money, they have been excellent. Got all of mine when they put a big sale price on them.
Also have an older 10" Craftsman fixed miter saw which is quite good and a really old 12" Delta.
I have found that if I keep good blades in all of them, they all perform well.
I have worn out an old 9" Delta in the past, couldn't find replacement parts for it at the time. Alternatively, keep your eyes on the want ads.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
You'd think that in this age of smart phone technology, that door opener remotes would be able to identify themselves before entering the opener code. Ie scanners wouldn't be able to work because the opener receiver wouldn't recognize the transmitter.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Al, In searching the Rigid and The Makita you referenced, it appears that the Makita is actually more expensive. The Rigid is around $160 US and the Makita is $198 US.
Am I missing something? Are they priced differently in Canada?
At any rate, I'm guessing the Makita is a better tool, anyway.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I hate a thief. :frown:

Jay bates on You Tube did a review on the Ridgid saw and said he would not buy it again. What I am trying to say is that you will not be sorry buying another brand. This is just my opinion.

Here is the Jay Bates video if you want to watch it.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Sorry to learn of your loss. I have a LiftMaster opener which has an electronic lock out feature on the master switch. Once that is set, not even my remote will open the door.

For the miter saw choice, I am very pleased with my DeWALT 716. The only change I amde at set up was to replace the original blade.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sorry you got hit by the low life thief's. Darn shame the law won't let you shoot them. On my garage door I padlock it when I am gone for a while so the door won't open from the outside. That won't keep them from busting the walk through door or the window glass but it makes it a bit harder for them to get in. I also keep a log of serial numbers just in case the thieving [email protected]#$%&S do get caught. Some states have weird laws that protects Pawn Shops from liability if they accept stolen items, you would have to buy back your own tools. Ludicrous!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you have close neighbors get an alarm system and connect a few loud sirens on it and mount them high out of reach (pointed in different directions towards neighbors). Add a siren in the shop - the noise will force them out. Thieves don't like noise. Windows - bar them or install an alarm trip on them. Outside cameras help and the sight of them scare thieves away - most of the time. I install a lot of fake cameras for customers along with a real one. I am thinking of getting a "Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell" ($199 at Amazon) so when someone rings the doorbell you answer it by smart phone from anywhere in the world - so they think you are home and it will show you on video who is there. I also have small trip alarms on some tools, lift the tool and the built-in siren goes off. Beware of dog signs - thieves are more scared of dogs than guns (I don't have dogs, but do have signs). Guarded by gun signs also help. Of course - motion detector lights on all sides of the shop/house. Get rid of cheap entry door locks - go for a push button lock/deadbolt - a lot of thieves carry lock picks and are very good with using them - only taking less than a minute or two to open a cheap lock. One person I know has a wildlife camera in the shop hidden - will take photos of anyone moving in the shop. Trouble is they all cost money, but most insurance companies will give you a small discount for installing alarms.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts