Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had several projects all finish at the same time this month, heres another one of them.

Way back last summer i told how I had been pressured into making a ballerina box for my 5 year old grand daughter.
Its taken a while, but this is it. About a foot long x 7" square.
made from american black walnut, maple, and beech.

front view with pull out lower drawer of beech but flocked in red

Rear view showing winding key

Front view with the top up

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
Wow how I wish I had your skills Bob . That's just a work of beauty, and I love the way you did the joinery with the rabbet joints . Very unique ;)

I just realized you did the same thing with the lid , unreal

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow how I wish I had your skills Bob . That's just a work of beauty, and I love the way you did the joinery with the rabbet joints . Very unique ;)

I just realized you did the same thing with the lid , unreal
Rick, theres a trick to that. make all the sides up, glue the walnut lid on, and then use the bandsaw to slice the new lid away from the sides.
OOPs, now I've told you that I gotta kill ya.:laugh2:

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Very nice, Bob. She will treasure that forever.

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
Rick, theres a trick to that. make all the sides up, glue the walnut lid on, and then use the bandsaw to slice the new lid away from the sides.
OOPs, now I've told you that I gotta kill ya.:laugh2:
Bob I was wondering if that's how it's done, as the parts are just to intricate to do otherwise . I just love the outcome .
Looks like I need a bandsaw, although maybe it could be done on a table saw ?
I'm thinking the outcome would be better on a band saw though ,as they definitely have there place

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,359 Posts
Awesome.

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
That's really nice. Interesting contrast. I'd put a blank diary in it, young girls really like keeping one.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eugene.... The sides are only 7 mm thick. The legs are slotted (rabbeted? ) and the sides (I'm not really up on the technical terms, but I think its called) rebated?
You can see the construction on the top of the leg posts. Those tiny circular things just visible in the legs are rare earth magnets to hold the lid closed.

Rick....... I couldnt make ANY of my boxes without my bandsaw. Its the most versatile machine I have. Those legs were just cut freehand on it. Try doing that on a table saw.

Tom.... She's just learning to read, but I like the diary idea. I just might put a little notebook in the drawer. (of course the wife has bought some dress up trinkets for her as well)

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Very nice Bob. She will really appreciate this when she gets a little older.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hey Bob, did you put you name on the box so that her daughter or granddaughter will know who made it? It looks beautiful. Malcolm / Kentucky USA

·
Registered
Paul
1,867 Posts
Like usual... very nice. I like the way the legs taper in, rather than out. Don't think I've seen that before.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,195 Posts
Very nice. I really like that, Bob.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Bob,

don't be hard on yourself because we are our own worst critics and of course we know all the problems the project has or had and most people would never see them as problems.

Really nice work on the box.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Bob, did you put you name on the box so that her daughter or granddaughter will know who made it? It looks beautiful. Malcolm / Kentucky USA
Malcolm, I have a pen (email?) friend in florida who I originally got to know through a motorcycle forum. He also makes stuff with wood and has just shown me a metal stamp he has had made to imprint his items.
I have no intention of selling any of my stuff so it seemed a bit OTT to me.
But to be honest, I had never thought past my own grand daughter to future generations. I shall be pleased if she still has it by adulthood.

Damn! Another thing to keep me awake at night. :grin:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts