Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some years ago I bought some band saw blades from a company in Mississippi and now I need additional blades but have lost the contact information. Can anyone recommend a good, reasonable, source where I can get some blades made up?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have heard good things about these guys Woodcraft Bands Inc, but you have to call them for good service. I didn't call and tried emailing but was emailed back and told to call and talk to one of the guys.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Some years ago I bought some band saw blades from a company in Mississippi and now I need additional blades but have lost the contact information. Can anyone recommend a good, reasonable, source where I can get some blades made up?
Jack, are you looking for a general supplier of BS blades in standard lengths or custom length blades? What length are you looking for? What width? Any particular usage in mind - e.g. resawing?

Your profile shows a 12" craftsman BS which probably takes fairly standard blades. If that's your saw then no need to get them made up custom - you can save a lot money buying something like Olson ($16-18). Woodcraft and Rockler carry them. The grizzly blades are a good deal though they kind of suck for shipping costs on small items.

·
Premium Member
19,219 Posts
In a pinch, Bosch from the big box works well, although I've also heard lots of good stuff on the Olson and Wood Slicer blades. The number of teeth per inch is also important, depending on what you're doing with it. More TPI is not necessarily better, particularly if you're doing resawing. Band saws are a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
www.sawblade.com

They will make the blade length to order.

A 6" bandsaw takes 93 1/2" blade and you can see them offered widely.
However, install a 6" riser and your choices are 105".

That seems odd since 2 x 6" is an even 12" inches so the 105" is short by 1/2". I get my blades made at www.sawblade.com in the 105.5" length. They use ft. and inches so that works out to 8' 9 1/2". I have yet seen an explanation on why the 1/2" difference.

The extra 1/2" helps when installing the blades as 105" is a little tight. Doable but tight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the source information. I've had very good service from Woodcraft in the past so I think I'll go with them. Gravytrain

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
www.sawblade.com

They will make the blade length to order.

A 6" bandsaw takes 93 1/2" blade and you can see them offered widely.
However, install a 6" riser and your choices are 105".

That seems odd since 2 x 6" is an even 12" inches so the 105" is short by 1/2". I get my blades made at www.sawblade.com in the 105.5" length. They use ft. and inches so that works out to 8' 9 1/2". I have yet seen an explanation on why the 1/2" difference.

The extra 1/2" helps when installing the blades as 105" is a little tight. Doable but tight.
Ralph...I believe the extra 1/2" comes from the width of the blade wrapped around the two half wheels increasing their diameter by the width of the blade. I didn't do the math but I'm pretty sure that's it...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Ralph...I believe the extra 1/2" comes from the width of the blade wrapped around the two half wheels increasing their diameter by the width of the blade. I didn't do the math but I'm pretty sure that's it...
Lenght is the only variable that changes after increasing the distance between two wheels by 6 inches.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I think the 93 vs 93.5 issue (or 105 vs 105.5) is simply wiggle room of which you should have a lot on a halfway decent BS. That's 1/4" difference in the distance between the two wheels. My Griz is spec'd to take 93 or 93.5 and there is a wide variation in the actual length of many blades for a given nominal length - even from the same company. I have Olsen 1/4 and 1/2" blades, both sold as 93.5". The 1/4" blade is more like 93" and is at the bottom of my tension setting while for the 1/2" blade I have to go to the other end. That really bugs me because I really like quick change on my BS and having to crank the tension setting all the way to the other end negates that benefit. In fact, I had to reset my tensioner so it could take both blades.

The riser may not actually be 6 inches either. You also should be able to set your tensioner so it's a bit lower if the 105" is too tight. Your manual should have the procedure.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I used to work in a wood craft warehouse. We had several bandsaws. Our blades came in a dispenser. We would have to string out a length, cut it off, and weld it together on a blade welder.

Sometimes we'd get a good weld that would last all day. Other times, the weld would only last a few minutes. It was all in the technique of annealing the weld afterward. You had to hit a little button to cause the blade and weld to glow a specific shade of orange. Too little and the weld would fail. Too much, and the weld would fail. It was hit an miss.

The company did not want to buy pre-measured and welded blades. They thought they were saving money by having us weld our own blades. You would sure know when your blade was not aligned! Every revolution, you'd get a "Thunk! - Thunk! - Thunk!" as the weld passed through the material.

I got pretty good at making blades after a few weeks on the job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jack, a company in Washington makes them to order...reasonably priced. I've bought Whiteside router bits from them before, seems to be a family business, Carbide Processors.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have a Grizzly 14" band saw with riser block. It takes 105" blades and they're not a problem to put on. For resawing I have a 1/2" Woodslicer 3/4 TPI. Admittedly, the widest board I've resawn so far was only 5 1/2" but the blade is very sharp and does an excellent job. I'd recommend it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts