Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to purchase either a small band saw or scroll saw but don’t know which will be more useful for my small hobby shop. My choices are:

9” band saw, $160.00, 2.4A, 1300-2600 sfm (two speed), 9” throat, 3-1/4” cutting depth.

16” variable speed scroll saw, $130.00, 1.2A motor with a speed of 500-1700 spm, cutting capacity of 2-1/4” at 90 deg., accepts either 5” pin or pinless blades, 7/8” blade stroke, 10”x16-1/4” cast aluminum worktable – tilts 0-45 deg., adjustable blade tension, built-in dust blower / pick-up

Which of the two you think will be more useful in a small hobby shop?

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi Nick,
Without question, the band saw will do more, especially if you plan to cut stock thicker than 1/2". The scroll saws are great for Intarsia, inlays, and other small work. I was given a scroll saw for Christmas about 5 or so years back. It has been faithfully gathering dust for 4 of those years. I just cater more toward building projects that require thicker stock, I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I have both in my shop including the little bandsaw you have pictured above. I got it at C. Tire on sale for 99.00 and I wouldn't pay any more for it. It cuts small stuff fine, and soft pine up to 2" thick if you go very slow. I replaced the blade with a silicon blade from tufftooth and that helped a bit. But the motor tends to stall and blow the internal circuit breaker if you try to cut hard woods.
I do use it more then the scroll saw for small stuff. The laser is useful and it also has a smal LED worklight. I'd say buy a bandsaw, just maybe not THAT bandsaw unless you get it on sale and only do very small stuff. JMHO

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Hi Nicolas,

I have to agree with everyone else that the bandsaw is the better choice in the long run, but as Deb explains, maybe not the one you have pictured. I would save up a few more $$ and go for a more substantial model. A bandsaw can be one of the most useful tools in the shop next to the router and I would suggest getting a good one. You may want to keep an eye on Craigs List for a good used model of better quality which would work well for you. Look hard at the 14" models as they are the most common used in most woodworkink shops. Use good blades and take time to tune your saw for best results.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can I go against an overwhelming majority? So it’s going to be a band saw.

A 14” one sounds very appealing but my small size shop would not like that. I will try to get a better quality 9”

Thank you all (Deb I will keep your tip in mind)

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Nicolas

I would say you need both in the shop, they both are needed to do many types of jobs,by the way a good scroll saw will cut 2 x 4 thick stock.. :) many times I will stack 3/4" thick on top of each other and cut both at the same time..and it can be hardwood.
The snapshots are some scrap 2 x 4 stock,,,the scroll saw can do so much more than a band saw..:) and the cut is always so clean you don't need to sand it the norm..plus the blades are cheap unlike the ones for a band saw...and come in many,many types :) and can be switch them out quick and easy, unlike many band saws..many will say they can't cut a strait line with a scroll saw , O yes you can with a sharp blade, just like a band saw...:) I think the max cut for my scroll saw is 2 1/4" thick :)

Plus it's the only saw that I know about that will let you back up out of a corner,that's to saw it will cut both ways with a round blade,many times you need to get into a tight place and you don't have the room to turn around with a round blade it's not a big deal, because it can cut both ways...forward and backwards..try that with any band saw.. :) as you can see they both have a place in the shop..

You need to use your head on this buy,,get a good used pair off Craigs List,many that are selling one off, with have both,it's one of the items in the shop many upgrade all the time so to say the deals are to be had..

====
======

Attachments

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob I like the idea of the 10” Craftsman band saw and it’s on sale now at $160.00 (of course that’s US$). I will go and have a look at it.

Bobj I can also see the need for a scroll saw but the space in my shop it’s a major factor. Thinking hard, since the scroll saw it’s a small unit, I may be able to stick it under the counter when not in use.

Getting a tool like that from Craigs List will cost a bundle on shipping cost, these small toys are HEAVY.

I’m also considering to get this sander (2.3A, 4”x36” sanding belt, 6” sanding disc, $140.00) which will also go under my bench when not in use.

Hm...let me see now...., I think I made my small shop 2 levels; one above the bench and one below the bench, not a bad idea LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi kolias

I think Mike , fix that error in storage,he made a flip top cabinet that had both tools in one cabinet,,,the top just flip over and one was always on top and the other one was just under it..pull a pin and flip the tool over and it's set to use..

Thickness planer stand
http://www.routerforums.com/axlmyks-stuff/12219-thickness-planer-stand.html

======

Bob I like the idea of the 10” Craftsman band saw and it’s on sale now at $160.00 (of course that’s US$). I will go and have a look at it.

Bobj I can also see the need for a scroll saw but the space in my shop it’s a major factor. Thinking hard, since the scroll saw it’s a small unit, I may be able to stick it under the counter when not in use.

Getting a tool like that from Craigs List will cost a bundle on shipping cost, these small toys are HEAVY.

I’m also considering to get this sander (2.3A, 4”x36” sanding belt, 6” sanding disc, $140.00) which will also go under my bench when not in use.

Hm...let me see now...., I think I made my small shop 2 levels; one above the bench and one below the bench, not a bad idea LOL

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I have a Ryobi 9" band saw for cutting small stuff. It performs well and is under $100 at HD here. In the past I have tried the 3 pulley models made by B&D, also sold as Craftsman. I would avoid them like the swine flu.

Mike, you mentioned shipping and craigslist together? craigslist should be local to your area and well worth looking into. I have found many great bargains on my local craigslist.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent idea bobj

Mike you did some nice job on this top

Now I have to figure out how I can modify my counter

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
hi kolias

They make some great hardware for the kitchens,,,like a lift up counter top that snaps into place,,,to hold kitchen tools for the boss ..the one that comes to mine is the one for a hvy.duty mixer..spring loaded that lifts the mixer right up into place..then just push it back into place and it's hidden in the cabinet..

========

Excellent idea bobj

Mike you did some nice job on this top

Now I have to figure out how I can modify my counter

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hi Nicolas,

What is your shop's size if I may ask?

Ed......:)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you Deb for the Kijiji and the Sears tips, sounds good and I will have a look tomorrow.

Craigslist may be local but no necessarily close to my place. I’m hesitant to look for used tools in my price range. I mean what I’m looking for in the $100 range are small toys and I might as well get them new. Now If I was looking for something in a few $100 range it would have been worth it to try and get them used.

You always have smart ideas bobj

Ed you don’t want to know the size of my shop, you will feel claustrophobic LOL. Anyway it’s 8’x12’ and the water heater / piping takes about 20% of the floor space. The good part is that the shop is located at the back of my double garage and in the summer I can wheel out my stuff and work there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thank you Deb for the Kijiji and the Sears tips, sounds good and I will have a look tomorrow.

Craigslist may be local but no necessarily close to my place. I’m hesitant to look for used tools in my price range. I mean what I’m looking for in the $100 range are small toys and I might as well get them new. Now If I was looking for something in a few $100 range it would have been worth it to try and get them used.

You always have smart ideas bobj

Ed you don’t want to know the size of my shop, you will feel claustrophobic LOL. Anyway it’s 8’x12’ and the water heater / piping takes about 20% of the floor space. The good part is that the shop is located at the back of my double garage and in the summer I can wheel out my stuff and work there.

I have the same size shop Nicolas. I buy portable/light tools for size and I take table saw outside to cut. I just got a 3 gallon 125 psi air compresser at Sears for $89. Only weighs 40 lbs and has carrying handle.
Glad I am not the only one with a small shop. lol Can I suggest you make a list of the projects you normally do? Most are for the bandsaw, but if the scroll can do all the types of cuts you usually do, I would go for the size and portablety.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the same size shop Nicolas. I buy portable/light tools for size and I take table saw outside to cut. I just got a 3 gallon 125 psi air compresser at Sears for $89. Only weighs 40 lbs and has carrying handle.
Glad I am not the only one with a small shop. lol Can I suggest you make a list of the projects you normally do? Most are for the bandsaw, but if the scroll can do all the types of cuts you usually do, I would go for the size and portablety.
Hi Barry

I'm sure we are not the only ones with a small shop LOL

In a small hobby shop, what kind of cuts a band saw will do that a table saw can’t do?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Hi Barry

I'm sure we are not the only ones with a small shop LOL

In a small hobby shop, what kind of cuts a band saw will do that a table saw can’t do?
Just to name a few, and I'm sure there are more, there is the curved cut, the compound cut, the compound curve cut and the curved miter cut......

1 - 20 of 43 Posts