Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe for the blade to occasionally touch the guides when the blade flexes when you saw a curve? I'm using a delta 28-276 with the original guides. I have the distance set with a double thickness of a dollar bill.
thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Paul, when cutting curves the blade has to hit the guides, that is their purpose. Instead of the two dollar bills as shims watch the Carter bandsaw set up video by Alex Snodgrass on adjusting your saw. It is a sticky thread at the top of this section.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Paul,
Take a look at the sticky post above in this section, on band saw set up.
That was a great help for me----and I have an extra dollar in my pocket.

Don

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Paul, in addition to Mike's good suggestion, you'll want to check out these COOLBLOCKS They can be adjusted right up against the blade and provide more stability on turns.

Is it safe for the blade to occasionally touch the guides when the blade flexes when you saw a curve? I'm using a delta 28-276 with the original guides. I have the distance set with a double thickness of a dollar bill.
thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Carter Bandsaw Stabilizer type of guides... Made just for using 1/4" wide and less bandsaw blades for cutting tight curves...

Just a thought.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I will say the carter stabilizer works well.
My used saw came with one, I did not know what it was for until I saw the video.
It allows the blade to flex for tighter turns for a given blade width.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
It's on my wish list Mike.

·
Official Greeter
18,847 Posts
Does anyone know if the stabilizer will work on a 12" band saw?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Each stabilizer is made for a specific model bandsaw. There website will tell you if one is available for yours, James.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
James, I see no reason why it wouldn't if they make one for the brand name of the bandsaw you use. You would have to check the Carter web site to see.
I am using the stabilizer right now on my Shopsmith 14" with a 1/4" blade. It's amazing how small a radius you can turn with it. There is a slight learning curve tho and it has to be set up properly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sticky Threads?

Paul, when cutting curves the blade has to hit the guides, that is their purpose. Instead of the two dollar bills as shims watch the Carter bandsaw set up video by Alex Snodgrass on adjusting your saw. It is a sticky thread at the top of this section.

Perhaps not the best place to ask this but I am sure others are wondering as well. Where are these "sticky threads" I keep hearing about but cannot find?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Where are these "sticky threads" I keep hearing about but cannot find?
Hi Rick

At the start of each forum there are a number of sticky threads marked with the word "Sticky", e.g. "Sticky: Simple drill press table jigs" in the forum "Tools and Woodworking":

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
298 Posts
The blade guides should barely touch the blade/ should not touch the balde while not cutting.That is right way in setting up the band saw blade. IMHO, touching the blade with the guides occasionally is fine but continual flexing may lead to blade breakage.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I bought one for my 12" Craftsman band saw before I sold the saw and the stabilizer. It worked great.
I recently got another for my 14" Jet.

Call Carters if you don't see your make/model.
If you do find it on Carter's website, take some time and search for it on either a craigslist or E-bay.

If the backside of your blade is rounded (the kind that Carters sells) the curve can be even tighter. You can round it yourself with the proper stone while the blade is running.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

I also use the Carter on my band saw.I use 1/8" to 1/2" blades and with no bottom guide needed,James I'm sure they will have one that will work on your band saw..

===

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rick
I must be really dense but I still can't figure out where those sticky threads are. I don't see anywhere at the top where the word 'sticky" is. I just don't get it. I'm not seeing something that must be right in front of me. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been searching for those "stickies"...

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
OK. You are reading this post in this thread.
Scroll up to the top and you should see this:
Router Forums > General Woodworking > Tools and Woodworking
bandsaw blade flex

If you can find that you are nearly there.

Click on Tools and Woodworking. That will take you to the "parent" of the thread.
Now scroll down looking for the word Sticky.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know what I like about this forum. There are no elitists! No one puts down a $100 machine because they have one costing thousands. I'm a firm believer that "You get what you pay for", is not absolute. many times inexpensive equipment is just as good or better than the name brands! I have an old craftsman 12" bandsaw and a Delta 14" bandsaw. I have more trouble adjusting the 14" than I do the 12". But since I have two I use them for different purposes.

Ok I'm off my soapbox now! Thanks for all the input. I think I will go with the cool blocks simply because they are cheaper, although i think the bearing guides are in my future.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
You know what I like about this forum. There are no elitists! No one puts down a $100 machine because they have one costing thousands. I'm a firm believer that "You get what you pay for", is not absolute. many times inexpensive equipment is just as good or better than the name brands! I have an old craftsman 12" bandsaw and a Delta 14" bandsaw. I have more trouble adjusting the 14" than I do the 12". But since I have two I use them for different purposes.

Ok I'm off my soapbox now! Thanks for all the input. I think I will go with the cool blocks simply because they are cheaper, although i think the bearing guides are in my future.
That's because a smart person will realize that it isn't the tool that makes the project. It's the "CRAFTSMAN" behind the tool. Take the Japanese for instance. Some of their craftsmen make some beautiful objects of art with what some would consider archaic tools.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree Leonardo Da Vinci could make the Mona Lisa today with a child's box of crayons.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts