21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Official Greeter
18,897 Posts

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi James

You must have seen that on the NET, it's not always the truth what they say on the NET, like they say LOL I always push it or to say I always try it to the max.. LOL and it's works for me,I don't like changing blades but the Carter makes easy and quick..........because of no bottom guide is used.... :)

==

Hi BJ,

I though I read somewhere that the Carter Stabilizer was for 1/4" and small blades?

Stabilizer Demo Videos by Carter Products

I will have a look AFTER I set up my band saw as per Alex's tips...

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Hi James

You must have seen that on the NET, it's not always the truth what they say on the NET, like they say LOL I always push it or to say I always try it to the max.. LOL and it's works for me,I don't like changing blades but the Carter makes easy and quick..........because of no bottom guide is used.... :)

==
Yep, it is on the net... On Carters web site...

"Carter's revolutionary patented Stabilizer® band saw guide provides excellent stability and unmatched versatility when cutting with blades ¼" or less in width. Simply slip the Stabilizer® in the slot normally occupied by your saw's side support block holder, or if you own or are purchasing a Carter full guide kit then it's just as easy as sliding out the upper guide and in the Stabilizer® and you're ready to cut."

Band Saw Products by Carter Products

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

I had a 1/4" blade in place and it broke and I had 3/8" right by the saw and I said what the heck try it and it work just fine than I put a 1/2" blade on and it worked just fine also....

==

Yep, it is on the net... On Carters web site...

"Carter's revolutionary patented Stabilizer® band saw guide provides excellent stability and unmatched versatility when cutting with blades ¼" or less in width. Simply slip the Stabilizer® in the slot normally occupied by your saw's side support block holder, or if you own or are purchasing a Carter full guide kit then it's just as easy as sliding out the upper guide and in the Stabilizer® and you're ready to cut."

Band Saw Products by Carter Products

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Duane-

But Carter says also says of their 14" Grizzly conversion kits:
"The Grizzly 14" conversion kit updates your saws performance through the use of model 2300 all sealed ball bearing roller guides. This provides your saw with reduced blade friction, improved cutting accuracy, and is adjustable for blade widths from 1/8" to 1""
I'm trying to figure out how you go to a 1" blade on a 14" Grizzly (only by the use of their guides) and not have the back of the blade hanging off the tires...

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Duane-

But Carter says also says of their 14" Grizzly conversion kits:

I'm trying to figure out how you go to a 1" blade on a 14" Grizzly (only by the use of their guides) and not have the back of the blade hanging off the tires...
Well, because its recommended for use with 1/4" or less, doesn't necessarily mean it won't work with wider blades I guess. Don't think it will increase the blade capacity of the saw though.. that one does seem rather strange.

That said, the blade doesn't conform to the crown on the wheels any way, especially if set up by Alex's instructions. So as long as the blade does not run into any other part of the saw, I'm not sure that is a problem either! Will the HP of the motor be enough, or the bearings and such take the extra stress... that's another story! I would NOT do that myself!

My only point was that James was indeed correct! Carter does recommend it for the narrow blades. If your particular saw setup will allow it to be used with a properly set up blade, I can't see where it would cause any problems.

·
Official Greeter
18,897 Posts
I always thought that you could not use a larger (>3/4") blade on a 12' or 14" saw was because of the flex of the thicker blade going around the tire. On a 16" or >, the radius of the wheel is large enough not to have too much flexing of the blade and on and on 18", 20"?

On my 12" saw the recommended blades are 6mm, 12mm and 15mm. is that 1/4" , 1/2" and 5/8"? - all 0.5mm thick.

I will keep your advice in mind BJ. You have not steered me wrong yet.....

21 - 28 of 28 Posts