Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been making quite a few of these lately to sell in craft shows, farmers markets and local shops. Got started about 3 months ago and have been having a lot of fun making them from the plans in the book by Lois Keener Ventura (Building Beautiful Bandsaw Boxes).

Using a Hitachi 12" bandsaw with a modified Ridgid 6" riser block -- seems to fit the bill nicely. :)

This is one of the larger boxes, Walnut with an Ash backer and Ash drawer pulls.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Very nice looking Stan. About how much time do you have in one of these? Approximate, start to finish.

Dave
the "Doctor"

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dr.Zook said:
Very nice looking Stan. About how much time do you have in one of these? Approximate, start to finish.

Dave
the "Doctor"
I've never been 'on the clock' while building on of this size -- but probably 3 days 'start to finish', which includes a lot of waiting for glue to dry, waiting for lacquer to dry, etc. If everything could be done without any 'wait' time, I'd say maybe 4-5 hours (most of that being sanding). :rolleyes:

(Box Notes: Bloodwood and Coffeenut with Sycamore pulls. Will be finished with lacquer).

A box like the one above is actually pretty fast to make. I can get a home-made 'rolling-pin sander' inside the drawer cavities to smooth them out a bit which speeds thing up significantly.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
glassguy1456 said:
These are incredibly well done!! Would you share how and what you used to get the finish on your boxes? Georgeous work!!
Sure, and thanks.

I just finish sand to the desired level, then add one coat of Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer. After that, it's multiple coats of Deft Brush on Lacquer, no sanding required between coats and I keep adding until I get the finish built up fairly thick (4-6 coats normally).

For most of the boxes, I just stop when the finish looks good -- nothing further done. With runs, I just buff the run area down with #0000 steel wool and then rub it out with a soft cloth.

If I'm bored while sitting at the Farmers Market -- I may grab an old brown paper bag and rip off a piece and do some additional buffing with that.

In reference to the first item (finish sand to the desired level), it kind of depends on the design of the box. The 'bear box' doesn't get much sanding at all, just enough to remove the bandsaw blade marks. People seem to like it somewhat rough. With the other, more graceful, boxes -- sanding time is a bit longer to try and smooth out the curves and all rough spots.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Bear box

Stan I love the bear box. I'll have to try one for the wife. She has taken the back bedroom and turned it into the "Bear Room". She collects Boyd bears. I don't know where we would put it tho. This room is full of bears, but I have to offset my tool purchases some how. :D

Dave
the "Doctor"

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dr.Zook said:
Stan I love the bear box. I'll have to try one for the wife. She has taken the back bedroom and turned it into the "Bear Room". She collects Boyd bears. I don't know where we would put it tho. This room is full of bears, but I have to offset my tool purchases some how. :D

Dave
the "Doctor"
They are lot's of fun to make and generally well received. :)
I've been making most of my boxes lately out of aromatic cedar, people seem to like the color/grain contrasts.

Be sure and post a pic when you have one (or more) made.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Stan

I just found this post on the FORUM and wanted to say they LOOK GREAT and ask are you still making them and if so do you have some more you can share with us ? :)

VERY NICE

http://bt3gallery.fhauto.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=enclosed-shop&id=DSC00007

http://bt3gallery.fhauto.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=temp&id=DSC00011

http://www.routerforums.com/general-routing/119-how-about-sharing-pictures-your-shop.html#post601

Note **** I didn't see if DOC made some ,I could not find a post for them ,do you know if he did some also :)

Bj :)

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Stan.,I too have only just seen you're posts, it's projects like these that spur me on to improve my skills. How about a photo. shoot during the making, "a picture is worth" etc.etc. Really superb work, Harry

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Bj, I haven't gotten around to making a bandsaw box yet. I bought an old 16" Grizzly BS at an auction and it needs a new switch. Maybe one of these days.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.