Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was resawing away when my bandsaw just slowed down to a stop. I shut it down, unplugged it and opened the doors. It's a 10" Rikon, nice little saw, for the stuff that I do. When I get a real shop, I will upgrade to a larger capacity saw.

The OEM drive belt has seen better days. I went online and ordered two replacement drive belts, (aftermarket). The original belts have served me well but they did not drive as it should. I adjusted the tension from time to time. Hopefully I will be back in the GROOVE again soon.

The new belts look to be rubber. I will update when I get them on how they look and perform. They were actually more expensive than the original belts.

Ellery Becnel

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have replaced all of my V belts with link belt. You are right, they are great. However this is not a single V belt.
Thanks Vince! The link belt is like not even knowing you have a belt, great product!

·
Registered
749 Posts
You may never want to get rid of your Rikon 10 inch bandsaw even when you upgrade. I have a Rikon 10 inch bandsaw and love it. I bought a Rikon 14 inch bandsaw and I could not part with the 10 inch Rikon so I have both. I resaw with the 14 inch using a 1/2 inch blade. I keep a small blade on the little Rikon 10 inch. It just seems easier to have both and the 10 Rikon does not take up much room in my small shop.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Years ago I replaced the belt on my old contractor table saw with a "link belt" that I purchased at a woodworking show. I've never looked back - runs a lot smoother. Not sure if you've considered this but here's a link to Lee Valley's version:

Link Belt for Power Tools - Lee Valley Tools
if you had vibration before the linkbelt but not after you have issues that the linkbelt is masking...
in the long, masking may turn out to be a very poor plan...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I have replaced all of my V belts with link belt. You are right, they are great. However this is not a single V belt.
Thanks Vince! The link belt is like not even knowing you have a belt, great product!
when you change multiple belts change them as matched sets...
getting belts from the same lot # constitutes matched sets...

Reactions: TwoSkies57

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
You may never want to get rid of your Rikon 10 inch bandsaw even when you upgrade. I have a Rikon 10 inch bandsaw and love it. I bought a Rikon 14 inch bandsaw and I could not part with the 10 inch Rikon so I have both. I resaw with the 14 inch using a 1/2 inch blade. I keep a small blade on the little Rikon 10 inch. It just seems easier to have both and the 10 Rikon does not take up much room in my small shop.
premium thinking...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't plan on getting rid of my little saw. It is a trooper!
I have always bought what I needed in lot#. It just happened that way.
Thanks for the info, its in the vault.

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
I keep a 10 inch with a small blade around as well. Much more convenient than changing blades on the 14 inch saw all the time. I mostly keep a half inch 4 tpi blade on the 14 inch saw. Good suggestions on the belt. Just checked and no noticeable vibrations on either saw, thanks Stick, worth checking from time to time.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just received my new drive belt, a day early! I have not installed it yet, work tonight.
It fits perfectly into the 4 drive grooves, and is the same length as the OEM belt.
It looks to be of the same material as any V groove belt. It should perform well.
Once installed, I will give it a test run and report back. So far I am pleased!

Also, I am not associated with this company in any way. I went online, put in my
saw description, and they came up. I read the description of the belt and ordered
two belts, end of story.

Ellery Becnel

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
A little 10 Rikon is on my hunt list on Craigs list. You rarely ever see them listed...says something about em me thinks :)

·
Registered
749 Posts
I got my 10 inch Rikon off craigslist. There is also a craftsman clone which would be the same saw. The 14 inch Rikon I bought new because the newer ones have bigger motors.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I installed the new drive belt today. Took the opportunity to PM and check the adjustments while I had it down. I cleaned the woodslicer blade also.
Its back together and running fine. I resawed a 4" tall piece of White Oak. As always, I let the saw and the blade do the work. It still cuts well. The
blade is starting to get a little dull, but still has some life left to it.

I am very pleased with the belt. I got it from polybelt.com. I did a google search for drive belts for my saw, they came up. I took a chance. It was a good choice.
It is a different material from the OEM belt. It is more like a rubber automotive "V" belt. They also offer urethane tires for that saw. Mine are just fine. I just wanted
to share this with everyone, in the event someone may need a new belt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts