Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's finally up, and soon will get all her equipment (after the city inspector has approved her, that is)

Lots of room, and we'll be adding a loft and two work benches in her: one as an island, and one across the back wall (that may have cupboards underneath for storage,) The loft will be in the back, because Ken is already talking about putting a garage door on her, instead of the doors currently there. I opted out of the extras that were on the model; didn't need them; but may create an overhang once Ken makes up his mind if we're putting in the garage door.

The floor, I was informed, is strong enough to have a bulldozer on it. I get the felling Ken will be putting the truck in there, if absolutely necessary when he has to do repairs (if he puts on a garage door.)

Anyway, while a bit more plain than the model, I'm happy. Let the creative juices flow once again!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
That’s looking awesome Barb! Tell Ken the doors on there now are much efficient for keeping heat in then a garage door would ever be.
I’d much prefer to have those doors myself ,as I have no intentions of driving a vehicle in my shop again .

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
No on the garage door, leaks too much heat. The inside of my garage door is insulated, but it still leaks a lot of heat. Add radiant barrier put in under the roof before you insulate isn't cheap, but it really keeps the temperature under control. My shop shed walls are lined with radiant barrier beneath the insulation as well. Amazing how that stuff reflects the heat out in summer. With R38 insulation up top, plus radiant barrier, your present door setup is going to be comfortable most of the time. Are the windows double pane? That makes a BIG difference too. I did one wall in pegboard in my shed, which has been very handy. I hang small accessories up there so I don't forget I have them.

On balance, however, I sure wish I had one just like it. Barb's and Ken's palace.

·
Registered
Paul
2,008 Posts
Wow, looks great Barb. Yes, I'm getting jealous.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Nice! I like the proximity of the doors to each other. It leaves long uninterrupted walls for benches, machines, and storage. Doors, while essential, are a R.P.I.T.A. as far as working efficiency is concerned.
The garage doors are a huge bonus in decent weather; they allow for extending the work area out onto the area in front /behind the building.

I was painting a piece a couple of days ago, with a linseed oil based exterior stain. Being able to do it outside meant I kept the smell out of the shop, and the finish dried much faster outdoors.
I'm surprised at the complaints raised here about insulted garage doors; mine is excellent at keeping the heat in, and I fully utilize the 10'W x 7'H of the actual opening.

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
I'm surprised at the complaints raised here about insulted garage doors; mine is excellent at keeping the heat in, and I fully utilize the 10'W x 7'H of the actual opening.
Dan, The total of my door insulation is R12, 2 layers of R4 radiant barrier and one layer of R4 foam. Better than nothing I guess. Once you open the garage door, you'll lose most of you AC or heated air. It was also a pita to get that insulation installed.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,228 Posts
Great looking shop, Barb. Your woodworking space has come a long way.

Reactions: OutoftheWoodwork

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Fantastic,Barb, You are going to have a ball organizing that shop the way you want it. Think of all kinds of ways to use that "attic" space too. I am so glad you got your shop.
I have an insulated garage door and am happy with it. Sure makes it easy to get big items into the shop. be sure to build a ramp of some sot on one of your doors to "wheel" stuff inside. You are going to spend a lot of happy hours in there creating your gems of signs.
Herb

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, everyone!

Ken was jealous; he wanted to be able to be home to watch them put it up. I took lots of pictures, and a couple movies as things were happening. Imagine my surprise when the crew that showed up was four Amish Men (Well, three, actually. One of them was only 16. In my book that's a teen/boy :lol: ) They arrived just about 7:30 a.m. and was piling in the truck to head back towards Clare, Michigan at 4:00 p.m. The longest task was the shingles and the siding; which, btw, is a lot lighter than I anticipated. Oh well; Made my choice, I have to stick with it. Also, I noticed that the doors are vinyl covered, as well as the trim around the doors and windows, so they will be remaining white, rather than my original plan of doing the regatta bay. Such is life.

They were a delight to have here, doing the work, and the conversations were great. I told my rep that if I had any other work that had to be done, I would be requesting these gentlemen. The hardest part was writing the check for the balance owing. That stung a bit, (alright, quite a bit. I liked seeing that big chunk o' change in my savings account, and now it's all gone :lol: )but - it was also worth it, as it took eight hours, rather than weeks/months to get completed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I agree with others on the "garage door" PROVIDED that means a roll-up door. There are other types. You could try a larger (wider) version of the current doors. Or a swing-up garage door. (My mother had one of those on her house just south of Denver, 1968-1985)

Either "normal" swing-out doors, or swing-up doors, can be sealed much better in the closed position than roll-up doors. Keeping winter outside where it belongs makes for a much better space for creating, chilling & etc.

Reactions: OutoftheWoodwork

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,022 Posts
Well done Barb. Enjoy the journey.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a metal building but I have a 15X60' overhang that I call the Patio. I love having the overhang because all of my shop equipment is on wheels and I take things outside whenever possible. I can do sanding and other messy tasks outside and cleanup is easier. I would think that you would really like an overhang on the front.

I have a 12 foot roll up door on the front of my shop. It does leak air in the winter but I live in East Texas and our winters are mild compared to some of the other forum members. For me the leakage of air is not a problem. If air migration is a problem they do make seals that help. I have a two burner propane stove that keeps my shop warm enough to work in the winter. In the summer the door is open all day with fans running. I would recommend putting some overhangs over the windows to keep them open but keep rain out.

Enjoy your new shop space. Now the real work begins to outfit the shop with cabinets, benches other creature comforts. I highly recommend that you utilize the wall space for storage. You can go up but only have a limited space to go out with storage.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts