Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend wants me to help trim out his bathroom using antique replica woodwork. The base boards have a fairly intricate profile and are too tall to fit under my mitre saw. My brother is a carpenter and told me that they usually cope cut the corners rather than mitre saw the 45's. Is there a jig or a procedure to make these cope cuts with a router? It seems it would be more accurate to route than to use a coping saw.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Router Guys, Thanks, I assumed that was about what I was going to need to do, but I would probably use a bearing guided pattern bit since I have no guides (yet). The way the room worked out, I'll only have to do one corner, the rest butts up to door frames, bath tubs and cabinets. The profile is wide enough I'll probably be able to get all the nooks and crannies with a 1/2" bit, maybe a little smaller.
I saw a coping jig in a router mag recently that used a 2 part epoxy like stuff to pour around the edge of the baseboard (after it is clamped on end) to make a guide. Looks like it would work, but it cost about $120.00. Too much for coping one corner.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.