Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have a source for router base patterns?
How many are there? I've seen universal bases which have siw or so hole patterns that cover most bases. Anyone have drawings for this?
I love to see them all but right now I need the base plate mounting patterns for my DeWalt DW621

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Can you get the pattern from the screw holes in the routers base? I might not be understanding what you want.

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
You should have a base installed on the router when you bought it. You can get the pattern from that. Drill holes in your base material with a drill press. However, you can buy bases and router mounting plates pre drilled for your DeWalt, and for not much more than blanks you'd drill yourself.

When drilling your own, consider drilling a slightly oversized hole, then a larger, flat bottomed hole over that, a little deeper than the thickness of the head on the bolt. This T shaped hole will allow you a little wiggle room to center the base on the shaft, using a cone attachment centered in the collet. By the time you do all this, you might be better off just buying instead of making your own. My thoughts anyhow.

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
How many are there? I've seen universal bases which have siw or so hole patterns that cover most bases. Anyone have drawings for this?
I love to see them all but right now I need the base plate mounting patterns for my DeWalt DW621
I have the Milescraft template sign routing system. It came with a universal base plate for mounting to a number of routers. Yeah, right. It doesn't line up with my little DeWalt trimmer.

I managed to get two holes lined up and drilled a third. It works and I ain't taking it off for nobody! :smile:

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
use the one on the router..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys,
I was going to have a larger one CNC'ed and was looking for a dimensioned drawing instead on measuring. It looks like a rectangular hole pattern and difficult to accuratly measure. One would think these hole patterns would be available for all routers.
I got an idea for a router base that is something new. Will keep you all posted for feed back.
thanks

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: 197761

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Transferring hole patterns to copy hole positions when making router base plates is much easier to get right if you invest in a set of transfer punches. They are just a set of cylindrical steel pins similar to a set of drill bits with a centered point on one end and a flat on the other. These are a toolmaker's trick for making copies of hole patterns.

You just pick the largest punch that will slide through the threaded or straight hole that you want to transfer, then position your factory original router base on the base that your are making, or any surface that you want an identical hole pattern in, secure it in place with double sided tape (another toolmaker trick) and then slide the pointed end of the punch through the hole in the factory base until it hits the surface of the plate that your are making, then strike the top end of the punch with a hammer or mallet. It will leave a perfectly centered divot in the surface to guide of the plate to guide your drill bit.

To keep the drill bit from walking off center when you begin to drill the hole, a "center drill" should be used to enlarge the divot. It only enlarges the divot to be certain that the hole about to be drilled remains perfectly aligned, especially when drilling small diameter holes. You then change it out for the drill bit of your choice and drill the desired correct size hole.

Transfer punch sets are available in fractions or mm sizes and the cheapest run about $25 for the set (Chiwanese) from industrial supply houses like Grainger, Grizzly, etc. The same source will have "center drills". I have several sizes of center drill bits in my shop so I can choose the one appropriate for the job. Most are double ended, so you get two identical bits for one price. I think my largest bit was about $3. These are both a great investment if you need to transfer hole patterns and then drill these patterns accurately.

For router base attachment, it's usually not desirable to use flat head screws, because quite frequently, you will need to adjust the position of the base to center it with the router collet, so slightly larger holes than the original factory base is desired. Then counter bore (drill a flat bottomed hole centered on this hole deep enough to recess the
bolt heads below the bottom surface of your router base. You should choose bolts with thin and flat bottomed heads. Counter boring bits are also available from the same industrial supply, but a full set is expensive. Just buy the one or two of the sizes needed. You will likely never need to own more. A counter boring bit has a cylindrical pin on the end with flat cutting blades around it. The center pin fits into your preciously bored hole to keep the bit centered and the cutters around it cut the flat bottomed recess for the bolt head to fit down into.

With careful shopping, you should be able to find the transfer punch set, the center drill bit and the counter bore bit for less than $50 total. These low priced tools will be more than adequate for woodworking hobby shop needs, and should last many years, if taken care of. When you have them, you will likely also find many other uses for them besides making router bases.

Charley

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
see if there is something in here that will be of help ...
Router Reference - Router Forums

·
Registered
Paul
1,867 Posts
Probably not much help to you, Scott. I made a drawing mainly to add a round baseplate to my Colt. I took my original plate off and used it for measurements and hole locations. Referring to the main hole center, I drew a larger circle for the outside of my new baseplate. I also drew another plate on it for hand held stuff but I haven't made one yet. The screw (mounting) holes on the Colt aren't centered around the bit, which makes the pattern harder to make without using the original plate (or base) for reference. The pdf file is full size.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks everyone - Since I can't find drawings I will do exactly that, using the layout punches to get the dimensions.
I am designing an off set router base which will be CNC'd and I want it to fit the most commonly use routers.
So, the next question, which are the mostly commonly used routers?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Everyone here seems to miss the point. The guy who created this post simply asked where he could find drawings of the the hole patterns for various brands and models of machines. He didn't ask for help mounting one. In my case, I want to see whether the router I'm thinking of buying will match any of the holes in my table BEFORE I buy it. Drill new holes? Sure, I'm not an idiot! I've used transfer punches for YEARS. But what if holes overlap? That can present problems. And what if the diameter and height of the machine presents clearance issues with my small router table? Yes, I can keep buying machines and if they don't fit, send them back. But that's expensive and time consuming. The manufacturers who design and build these machines know what the hole patterns are. They know what the base diameter is. There's no excuse for not freely offering a dimensioned 2D drawing showing the diameter of the base, diameter of the base center hole, and the thread size and spacing of the mounting holes.

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Most routers I'm familiar with have at least 3 holes for the PorterCable. Some have a 4 hole pattern in addition. For universal fit, you should have at least the PC and the pattern for Bosch, with covers a lot of different routers. You must also get the main opening centered just right and the correct size for PC type bushings. Someone here will remember the diameter required, but I can't recall just now.

I imagine you can write and request a printed pattern from different manufacturers. Can't hurt to ask.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts