Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a kit from Hart Designs for Dovetail and Box joints, but I am having a problem finding a base plate for the my Ryobi Plunge Router that will accommodate the bushings that came with it. I bought a universal plate from Home Depot, but I am having some issues with it. Plus that plate will only use the bushings that came with it and not the nice brass ones that came with the kit. I just started woodworking within the past year, so I am novice. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Drog822 said:
I just bought a kit from Hart Designs for Dovetail and Box joints, but I am having a problem finding a base plate for the my Ryobi Plunge Router that will accommodate the bushings that came with it. I bought a universal plate from Home Depot, but I am having some issues with it. Plus that plate will only use the bushings that came with it and not the nice brass ones that came with the kit. I just started woodworking within the past year, so I am novice. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!
Hello Drog822, Welcome to the RouterForums :)

I am moving your thread to Portable Routing.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Drog822 said:

Thanks!
Hi,

I'm not sure of what you have here so let me guess that the kit you purchased to do the dovetails came with a brass part that might be designed for the pc standard mounting.... a hole of 1-3/16" and a 1-3/8" counter bore. This guide bushing will have a barrel which has the critical dimensions you need to use the kit.

You do not have to use the part that came with the kit if you can find a simular size barrel that fits your router. You will have to match the height and width both, so if you can find a Ryobi one that match that you will be all set.

If you can't then you will need to find a new sub base for the router which will take the guide bushing and match the hole pattern of the router. It sounds like you have gone that path already. If you want to tell us about the issue we might be able to help you on that path...... I know some places sell a "turnlock" router base which might work for you. It has a lot of routers it fits and a set of plastic guides but it also has an adapter to use standard pc style bushings. These kits are like $15 on-line don't know about the costs at local stores. (I have one of these for my old sears router so I do know about them and could give you additional information if you go that direction.)

I hope this helps,

Ed

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ryobi Base plate to fit PC bushings

This is an old thread -- hopefully you solved your issue by now.
I had a similar problem recently finding a base so I could use the PC bushing that came with my new Rockler Dovetail Jig.
The salesman warned me I would have trouble.
(wish someone had warned me about that when I bought the Ryobi :rolleyes: )

I assumed if Rockler didnt have one Woodcraft wouldnt either so I didn't check there right away. I should have :)

The guy behind the counter at Woodcraft walked right up the aisle and handed me this item from Jobe. Even though my my specific model wasn't on their label there were 4 beautifully predrilled holes that match perfectly.
And it was even on sale.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
That helps me out as well !
Now I don't have to get rid of my little Ryobi router. I can use it just for dove tails and such :D
Thanks for the tip !!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Leigh adapter plate

I have the same problem with my Ryobi RE180PL. I was looking at dovetail jigs and found Leigh make an adapter plate for it that (I hope) fits into the recessed area on the base. Take a look. The 706R plate fits a lot of Ryobi routers. Has anyone else tried these, I just ordered one to try. OK, I can't post the URL.....
Go to leighjigs dot com/ugs.php and look

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I have the same problem with my Ryobi RE180PL. I was looking at dovetail jigs and found Leigh make an adapter plate for it that (I hope) fits into the recessed area on the base. Take a look. The 706R plate fits a lot of Ryobi routers. Has anyone else tried these, I just ordered one to try. OK, I can't post the URL.....
Go to leighjigs dot com/ugs.php and look
Yes, I got one for my Ryobi 2100V. It makes the router much more versatile as all the PC bushings now fit, instead of just the two that came with it and which are a bit of an oddball size. (Mind you, it cost more than the set of HF type bushings that I got from Silverline in the UK, but it is very well machined)

Those Leigh adaptors should be more well known. They are the answer to many a prayer.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
15 Posts
The problem with the universal router plates is they have to attach to my existing plate which then doesn't have enough bit protruding to use my jigs.
I got the Leigh 706R plate and kudus to Leigh! it fits perfectly!. Unfortuneately the quality control on the Ryobi manufacture is very bad. I mentioned the off center shaft (2/32")

·
Registered
15 Posts
OPPPS! The 2/32" means the bits are off center from the nice guide I got from Leigh. I tried to cut test dove tails and the first one was a disaster. I had to postpone playing with it to hang a double patio door upstairs by myself that took all weekend and I have two more to go (Ouch!). I'll try adjusting the angle I hold the router to see if I can over come the off center shaft. If anyone has any ideas; I'm all ears. I think the next step is a better router. I'm just starting wood working and plan on doing cabinetry at some point so I'm sure I'll need a good router for this. I'll check out the selection discussions and take any tips.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hello! If you are off at all, i would return it, if you can. The only other thing you can do is to re drill. If you can use a piece of plywood and slightey touch the ply with spinning bit, Make sure to get anaccurate centering tool. they are for 1/2 in. and 1/4 in. bits. when you have established true center. I would do that with a compas. try to make a line around center, that is on the money for the base screw holes. turn the plate a bit, and drill for centering to the line sctibed on the wood. I assume that it is the one that will hold the guide colar, That should hopefully center the bit, if the base always tightens into the same place.

·
Registered
396 Posts
OPPPS! The 2/32" means the bits are off center from the nice guide I got from Leigh. I tried to cut test dove tails and the first one was a disaster. I had to postpone playing with it to hang a double patio door upstairs by myself that took all weekend and I have two more to go (Ouch!). I'll try adjusting the angle I hold the router to see if I can over come the off center shaft. If anyone has any ideas; I'm all ears. I think the next step is a better router. I'm just starting wood working and plan on doing cabinetry at some point so I'm sure I'll need a good router for this. I'll check out the selection discussions and take any tips.

Ok, I have the Ryobi RE180PL. I purchased the Leigh 706. It fits like socks on a rooster. I would try this to suss out a router or plate defect...Attach the Leigh plate. insert a centering pin in your router with the appropriate busing installed check for center then loosen the plate and check alignment with the centering pin look at the fitment of the plate in refference to the opening and attachment holes..If in fact you determine the router is at fault let me know and I can then give you another rout to take.(I have to experiment with mine first to see if it works)

Good Luck,
George Cole

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
This is the advantage of drilling your own plate. You can buy one with the center (guide bushing) hole drilled (or drill your own) and then drill the mounting screws perfectly centered. There are posts here in the forums giving techniques you can use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's defineately the router. The plate is a perfect fit into the recess and there's no wiggle room. I have measured from the edges of the base plate recess to a 1/4" shaft in the collet. I played around with the Harbor Freight jig I have and if I held just right I could cut the dovetails. They were far from perfect. That's what happens when a bad router meets a bad jig. I know now!

I have one of the universal base plates I could use to make an insert and drill it out. Which posts have the details? Seems like you would make the plate to fit the recess and attach it. Then mark the center point with a pointed bit to use to start a forstner bit the right size for the guides.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sounds like you have half your problems with centering down, but as far as the thickness problem goes I would just remove the old base plate and slap the one your making or buying directly on the the naked router base where the old plate mounts. Just make the holes slightly larger and use a centering pin.
If that's already been discussed I apologize. I'm not one for reading through posts thoroughly LOL! I'm lazy like that. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Ryobi 180PL is a plunge router and there are two shafts that are a part of the base so you I would have to add the new plate to the base. That makes it too thick to have enough of the bit below the base.........

Good news. I used the Leigh plate and guide bushing with the Harbor Freight jig and by holding the router at the same angle all the time made some almost decent half blind dovetails! As it's my first try they came out OK. When I finish my wine rack I'll post some pictures to show.

·
Registered
578 Posts
What I meant was remove the plastic base plate from the router body and replace it with the plate you've made / purchased.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I understood. Unfortunately, this router isn't made that way. The two shafts the router has are pressed into the base not bolted or screwed on.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts