Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice. I built some simple baseboard covers for a basement bathroom out of mdf but for the living room I want to class them up a bit. What bit would I use to create the design on the face of this example?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
J , just guessing but that looks like a stamped metal or molded plastic cover. My guess it would be rather involved to duplicate in wood in one piece. Maybe a CNC? otherwise the raised panel portion would have to be built in pieces like a panel door and then assembled into a single unit.
Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum J. Is that just an air register that the cover hides?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Welcome to our forum No question too dumb around here
you want a faux raised panel bit Door & Window :: Faux Panel or google faux raised panel router bits

here is a thread http://www.routerforums.com/router-bits-types-usage/50130-faux-raised-panel-bits.html
That is very similar, Bill, but not the same pattern with the long bevel on the inner side. The only way I can think of duplicating is in separate pieces.
But your solution would be good way to do it in a one piece board and have the same effect but a little different pattern. If I were to do that I would use your suggestion. If there were several to do a good template a Faux bit with a bottom bearing in a plunge router should work. Would reqiure some hand work in the corners, I suspect.
Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I agree with Herb. A reasonably precise copy requires separate pieces as the profile on the outer edge of the raised panel profile is not a duplicate of the inner profile.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I agree with Herb. A reasonably precise copy requires separate pieces as the profile on the outer edge of the raised panel profile is not a duplicate of the inner profile.
Agreed there will be rounded corners. OP could use some choices

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,327 Posts
Welcome to the forum J.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I think that faux bit will work perfectly. I have a pic of another less intricate option that looks like it's exactly what was used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts