Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New To The Routing World And I Am Having A Ball. One Item Continues To Stump Me. Squaring Mortices. I Have Tried Chisels, Exacto Knives And Still Can Not Get An Acceptable Outcome. Uneven, Not A Good Fit With The Tenon And Etc. I Know Som Prefer To Round The Tenon But I Like The Square Look For A Majority Of My Work. Any Suggestions???

· Registered
802 Posts
Hi BCSBuddy:

A question for you, if I may. What difference does the "look" of the mortise and tenon make. Will they not be hidden once they are assembled? Personally, I use round tenon.

However, if you want square mortises and have a drill press, throw a mortising chisel and drill bit into the drill press and square up the mortises. (I have not done square mortises, by the way.)

Cassie

· Banned
12,004 Posts
There are simple corner chisels for squaring corners, they range in price from $5-20. There is no substitute for having someone show you how to do this in person. If you live near a Rockler or Woodcraft store ask and they will help you with this. Another option is to join a local woodworking club. You will master this technique with a bit of practice.

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi BCSBUDDY

The tools below will make a quick job of what you want to do at the right price.
I like to use the 1st, item on the list below,it's quick and easy but some times the item you are working can't take the blow so you need to use the 2nd item below.

Corner Chisel
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/cornchis.html

Cabinetmaker Chisel
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/routacc3.html

Bj :)

------------------

BCSBUDDY said:
New To The Routing World And I Am Having A Ball. One Item Continues To Stump Me. Squaring Mortices. I Have Tried Chisels, Exacto Knives And Still Can Not Get An Acceptable Outcome. Uneven, Not A Good Fit With The Tenon And Etc. I Know Som Prefer To Round The Tenon But I Like The Square Look For A Majority Of My Work. Any Suggestions???

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New To Routing

Mike said:
There are simple corner chisels for squaring corners, they range in price from $5-20. There is no substitute for having someone show you how to do this in person. If you live near a Rockler or Woodcraft store ask and they will help you with this. Another option is to join a local woodworking club. You will master this technique with a bit of practice.
THANKS FOR THE INFO. I DO HAVE A WOODCRAFTER STORE NEAR ME SO I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE AS SOON AS I CAN.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.