1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
Electrocuted while wood burning sounds like it Doug. With a standard hot iron almost all the current is converted to heat by resistance so virtually no chance he could be electrocuted that way. I've read that sticking a knife into an active toaster isn't as dangerous as it is reputed because of that reason.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
I’m glad Herb quit doing it . My friend just seen a video of that guy making a coffee table using the microwave transformer to get that burnt look .
Although it makes for a very interesting effect , I want no part of it , as I’m just to much of a klutz .

What a terrible story for those children .There mother passed away and then the father

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Go to youtube and there are dozens of videos on doing it, and videos on how to make a setup, and likely not a one saying how dangerous they are. Never wanted to try one, I thought the results were ugly long before I found out how dangerous they were. :surprise: :crying:

Youtube does have videos on woodburning with the handheld woodburning tools. Cost is around $10 or so, and while you might burn yourself with one, you won't get electrocuted. I like the results much better, even tho I don't use mine often. You want to burn designs in wood, get one of those. 0:)

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Tragic and sad. One organization has banned this process from demonstrations at the club level and symposiums.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Electrocuted while wood burning sounds like it Doug. With a standard hot iron almost all the current is converted to heat by resistance so virtually no chance he could be electrocuted that way. I've read that sticking a knife into an active toaster isn't as dangerous as it is reputed because of that reason.
:nono: whoever is posting that misinformation is putting people's lives at risk!. you still have 120 volts at a high current on the hot leg of the appliance, that is NOT converted or used!.. make a good enough connection to that, and ground or the neutral, and you can be killed!. https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/physics/p616/safety/fatal_current.html what they should have mentioned is that High Voltage at a high current is more dangerous, because I=E/R which is the current equals the voltage divided by the resistance, so the more voltage, the more current can flow with a set resistance!. something like a microwave transformer can supply 1 amp, way more than enough to kill you!..

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Well there ya go,It's the amps that kill,not the volts.True or false? James jj777746.

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mostly true. The electrical signals that regulate the heart are quite small, and can be disrupted bu a relatively weak current. Also important is the path the current takes through the body. Worst case is a path directly across the heart.

Higher voltage can increase the likelihood for that current to flow across a given resistance.

·
Official Greeter
18,735 Posts
So sad.

Reactions: kp91

·
Registered
692 Posts
The main wood turning association banned anything tied to it in their shows, and for good reason.

Some guys brought their beast to a meeting and gave a demo. Having worked both electrical (PSNS, shop 51, electricians) and electronics (Keyport & Bangor, Wash.), it scared the hell out of me. These boys took a lot for granted. My shop has 1" thick rubber mats and I'd have second thoughts with most the systems I've seen. "Maybe" with a 5 foot glass pole. They were doing it on concrete floors and no mats.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Holy cow, I find it difficult to believe people are that ignorant, but....

That's like saying the knife I stick in an outlet will act like the nichrome wire so all the electric turning it red hot [as the current through it into me] dissipates the dangerous electrons leaving only the good ones so.....

:nono: whoever is posting that misinformation is putting people's lives at risk!. you still have 120 volts at a high current on the hot leg of the appliance, that is NOT converted or used!.. make a good enough connection to that, and ground or the neutral, and you can be killed!. https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/physics/p616/safety/fatal_current.html what they should have mentioned is that High Voltage at a high current is more dangerous, because I=E/R which is the current equals the voltage divided by the resistance, so the more voltage, the more current can flow with a set resistance!. something like a microwave transformer can supply 1 amp, way more than enough to kill you!..

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Very sad to hear...just can't imagine what the kids felt when they found their father...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Sad story. I was in a gift shop last Friday and there were several pieces by a local person who made several items, advertised as the Lichtenberg process. I cringed and almost said something to the store owner.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Perhaps a double wound isolation transformer would have prevented this tragedy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts