Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a beach house in Corolla NC about 1 1/2 years ago and posted a question on this site asking if anyone could give me some advice on how to make a sign for it. I got a recent response to the post and was advised to post the results here so others might more easily find them. As it turned out I made two signs for the house, the first one with the house name "Kite Tales" and another one that is a towel rack with a name on it that is a spin on the house name "Kite Towels". As with most things I do I make templates of things that have unique shapes and them use that to route the final part.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
My guess (I've been wrong B4), CNC, Aspire software and HDU for material.

OK, they're beautiful!! Now you have to make a show and tell about how you make them. A router isn't the only tool that you used. I'm curious and want to know more.

Charley

·
Registered
124 Posts
I hope it is hand crafted and not a CNC. Form the statement *I do I make templates of things that have unique shapes and them use that to route the final part* I expect it to be a interesting process.
Great looking sign.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for all of the kind comments.

This is what I did and did not do.

No CNC tools were used in the making of either sign. Not that I would not use CNC, I just do not have access to one.

The Kite Tales sign base, the next layer up and the oval ring in the coral color were all done from templates.

Most of the Lighthouse (Which is suppose to mimic the Currituck Lighthouse in Corolla, NC) was turned on a lathe and cut in half. The walking platform, the railing and the ornament under the platform were all added after the turning was split.

All of the lettering is a custom font that was laided out in a font making program that is available on line. My son did that for me from my sketch. The font is the same on both signs, just different sizes.

The tail for the kite and the curved railing are an 1/8" dowel steamed and bent to a form. The bows for the tail are traced from a template and cut on the band saw and sanded to shape.

The primer is Sticktite and the paint is One Shot sign paint.

All most all of the material is cedar except for the lighthouse which is fir and the sign is all most 44" tall. The pegs for the Towel rack were made from pallet wood that I got and turned on the lathe. The colors of the pegs are in line with the colors of the rainbow.

The most disappointing thing was after mounting the sign on the house, my wife comments “It looked so big in the car and it looks so puny on the house.” It is that forced perspective thing I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
That is some beautiful work. I like the house piece but both are great. I'm about to visit NC for a few days before heading up to NYC for a week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.