Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A real beatnik on a cruiser bike picks up an old pop crate out of the trash and straps it on with bungie cords. I decided to complicate it as much as possible. My wife wanted a crate to hold a travel mug and coat. Not too big or heavy. I decided to use red cedar for lightweight and to handle the rain. Crate building is boring so I decided to build my slats like hand cut dovetail drawers. The cedar surprisingly took a cut well and chiseled ok. Finished the my crate with 5 coats of shellac. Rubbed it down with steel wool and wax to knock the sheen down. This bike rarely sees rain so I figure it will hold up ok with shellac. Used brass cap screws with wing nuts for quick removal. Those with a good eye will see my mistake on the base. I forgot and cut my base groove right through my dovetails. Plugged my holes with scraps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Shellac and water don't go together well at all.

I think it's good looks will last much longer if you put several coats of polyurethane on top of the shellac. Sand the surfaces with 0000 grade steel wool or a fine grade of Scotch Brite pad, and blow off the surfaces well before each application. The micro fine scratches will make the poly adhere better.

Charley

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Nice crate...looks good on the bike...

You may want to consider spar varnish for the finish...moves better with changes in the wood, sun, heat, cold, etc...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Nice crate...looks good on the bike...

You may want to consider spar varnish for the finish...moves better with changes in the wood, sun, heat, cold, etc...
will spar hold up to the elements really well???

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
will spar hold up to the elements really well???

Yes...very well...it is used on wooden masts on ships...moves with the wood as it needs...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.