Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an electric beaver jointer at an auction and have no experience with this type of work.The unit is quite old Model 3477 Ser.no 3477 4 1/2 by24 3/4 cast iron table and I have no instruction manual.My questions are as follows :
1)There is an adjustment setting on each end of the split table.How should these be set ?One slightly higher than the other or perfectly flat.
2)Where can I get blades if required ?
3)Are the dificult to sharpen and install ?
4)What are these units worth ? It runs very smooth ,no rust,and has a nice heavy cast iron table. I paid $ 30.00
Any help here will be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi Arne. Welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

1)There is an adjustment setting on each end of the split table.How should these be set ?One slightly higher than the other or perfectly flat.

The outfeed side, that would be the end the motor is mounted on, is normally higher than the infeed side. Not a lot mind you, maybe a 1/16".. even that might be too much actually.

2)Where can I get blades if required ?

Start with BusyBee tools, or maybe Lee Valley. Even Canadian Tire or Home Depot. I don't think there is much difference in jointer blades for machines of that design.

3)Are the dificult to sharpen and install ?

Sharpening is best left to the professionals. Not difficult to install, a bit tedious to set up properly. Several good tutorials available on the web for this.

4)What are these units worth ? It runs very smooth ,no rust,and has a nice heavy cast iron table. I paid $ 30.00

I'm thinking you got a good steal, er, deal, on it.

Any help here will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You got a good deal as it looks good and as you said runs smooth. For the rest of your questions this brief reading and video will cover them Using A Jointer - NewWoodworker.com LLC .... all except where to get the knives. You can likely google them up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts