Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
My neighbor had one of those when I was in high school. 440 Hemi, dual point ignition system, balanced & blueprinted. He could punch it in 1st gear, shift in to 2nd when he hit 60 & it would bark the tires! Those things were/are amazing.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
The very first car I looked at after getting my license at 16 was a 68 RR convertible, 440, pistol grip 4 speed..Hemi orange and it looked like it had been driven to hell and back. Man, did I want that car!!! My grandfather said no, he didn't like convertibles. Neither of us may have realized it at the time, but that was perhaps the best "NO" I had ever got....I am thankful to this day for it!

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
My neighbor had one of those when I was in high school. 440 Hemi, dual point ignition system, balanced & blueprinted. He could punch it in 1st gear, shift in to 2nd when he hit 60 & it would bark the tires! Those things were/are amazing.
No biggy , but it was probably a 440 magnum . Incredible engine!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Ah,for the good ol' days. Then you asked a new car owner how many horsepower the car had. Now it is what gas mileage do you get? I get tickled at these kids with the little Honda and Toyota cars that sound like a chainsaw. Those old muscle cars would suck them up in the carb and spit out roller skates.
Had a '66 Corvette, two tops, 327/360, 3.08 rear end- I could get 16 mpg at 75 or more on the interstate. >:) If I had it now, I could sell it and pay off my house. :crying: BTW, it had the best brakes of any car I have owned or driven.

·
Registered
Theo
6,939 Posts
On my to see my older son today saw a beautiful 1958 Chevy Impala going the other way.

I've got a 1978 El Camino that was loads of fun to drive for about 5 years, mild built 307, some ejiot replaced the 350. Ran great, until that steenkin' Edelbrock carb backfired on startup- blew out the valve cover gaskets, exhaust gaskets, and did something to the valve train. No $ to fix it, so it set. Then got the $ to fix it, and my back wouldn't let me. So it has set for awhile more. But my older son said today that he would swap engines for me. Seems I have a older 4X4 Chevy pickup sitting that my younger son drove, until gas prices went up. It has a hot 350 engine I had intended to put into a Chevy Luv (he talked me out of it), World heads, Comp cam, 10-1 compression, blueprinted, balanced, and more, 420 HP, and only about 20,000 miles on it. Should go nicely in that El Camino, especially with the 4:10 gear put in about a week before that carb acted up. I think I'll look for a 'real' spreadbore carb to put on it, love the sound of those secondaries kicking in.

Reactions: artman60

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
Interestingly enough, HotRod magazine went threw there archives and looked at real world 1/4 mile times with the 69 Camaro . It was a factory 396 and a 4 speed stick.
Well the new Camaro with the high end naturally aspirated V6 beats it , and gets 3 times the fuel mileage . Hard to believe where technology has taken us , and with crappy gas

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I have a friend who classifies cars now as rolling computers. Remember what the four banger Offenhauser engines did at Indianapolis and other places? Had a neighbor in Ohio back in the early 60s that had what was called an English Ford with a Lycoming aircraft engine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds like you guys need to put a trip to Beach Hop in Whangamata on your Bucket List.

We just had the 17 one and our wee town (pop approx 4500) went to over 80,000!... Google Beach Hop 2017 and see what was on offer.��

·
Registered
Paul
1,866 Posts
Interestingly enough, HotRod magazine went threw there archives and looked at real world 1/4 mile times with the 69 Camaro . It was a factory 396 and a 4 speed stick.
Well the new Camaro with the high end naturally aspirated V6 beats it , and gets 3 times the fuel mileage . Hard to believe where technology has taken us , and with crappy gas
I was considering one of those when I was car shopping, I looked at a few. I decided to go slightly more practical in the end and bought an SUV.

·
Premium Member
Frank
314 Posts
Just got back from Pigeon Forge's car show. Walked over 8 miles in two days and did not see all of the cars/trucks/other. I was surprised to see that many had "FOR SALE or TRADE" signs on them However, there were a lot of really nice cars to see.

Frank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts