Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our grand daughter's little brother pulled a BAM-BAM on the mirror frame on her little vanity and it broke at the weakest point. :surprise:

I am going to replace the broken piece with something new. Not sure yet. It has to be .62 inches thick. Since the broken piece is 13 inches wide, the replacement won't fit through my planer, so I will have to use the CNC to plane a new one to the correct thickness. And I am not sure what material I will use. The existing finish is smooth and white.

Got to get Blondie fixed up so she can use her vanity. :grin:

I have the replacement piece designed in VCarvePro and ready to carve.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Our grand daughter's little brother pulled a BAM-BAM on the mirror frame on her little vanity and it broke at the weakest point. :surprise:

I am going to replace the broken piece with something new. Not sure yet. It has to be .62 inches thick. Since the broken piece is 13 inches wide, the replacement won't fit through my planer, so I will have to use the CNC to plane a new one to the correct thickness. And I am not sure what material I will use. The existing finish is smooth and white.

Got to get Blondie fixed up so she can use her vanity. :grin:

I have the replacement piece designed in VCarvePro and ready to carve.

Mike
Mike, you might be able to make it in 4 pieces and mortise and tenon it together at the corners.
Herb

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hello Mike!

Looks like a good replacement part.
No difficult assembly, no glue.
By the picture it looks like it was made in some sort of medium.

Regards

·
Super Moderator
5,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hope to make the first test this weekend. I am going to use 3/4 inch Baltic Birch, plane a little off the back, then run the files to reproduce the broken part. Will it work? I won't know until I try. Even if I take off the outside layer of the plywood, the rest will still be stronger than the original.

More coming soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Worked on the new frame today. And VOILA! Success!

I assigned part of the work to my shop helper (my CNC) and let him do the work. I admit, I did stand around and watch him to make sure he was doing it correctly.

I used 3/4 inch Baltic Birch and planed it to .605 inch, which is the same thickness as the existing frame. A 3/4 inch router bit did the planing job. You might have noticed the blue painters tape under the work piece. I tried a method a You Tube video describes of using the tape and super glue to hold the work piece in place. It worked great!!! :smile: I provided a link to the video below.

Then it was time to cut the frame.

The first file run was the one that drilled some mounting holes in the mirror cut out and the four corners of the work piece. I screwed the pieces in place and then continued with the rest of the cutting.

The next file cut out the waste area where the mirror will be visible and then continued with the next file which cut the dadoes for the mirror and the backing. When that job was done, I placed the mirror and the backing in their respective dadoes and they fit nicely. Kudos to the designer!:grin::grin::grin:

After the dry fit, I ran the cutout file and the job was complete.

After removing the frame from the work piece, I used the band saw to cut the tabs off and then trimmed the remaining part of the tabs with a flush trim bit mounted in the router in the router table. A little sanding and it is ready to finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,228 Posts
A great repair job, Mike, and perfect example of how a cnc can be used in woodworking.

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Super Moderator
5,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And now for an update. This repair is complete!

Today we assembled the mirror, took it across town, and installed it. Now Blondie can get back to business. The finish on the frame is almost identical to the original finish. Everything fit perfectly. I'm happy, and they are happy.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.