Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good bench mounted belt and disc sander? I only require a small model (approximately 6"/15cm disc and 4"/10 cm wide belt). My budget is about £150 and living in the UK, unfortunately, makes Grizzly / Craftsman etc unrealistic options. In the context of my budget (if possible) I would like to avoid the cheap Chinese-made models and definitely wish to avoid those models manufactured with poor bearings, belts etc which will wear out quickly.

So far, I have been studying the following:

Record Power BDS150
Draper 50021

Would either of these be good choices? Are there other models that would be worth considering?

Thank you very much for all your help in advance,

Gary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know if obtaining RIGID is possible where you are but you might look at their combination table and spindle unit. I don't own one myself but plan to. I have been reading the reviews ands for a medium duty combination unit, it receives high marks.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Record Power sander BDS150 is quite running, the dust extraction works well on disk but on the belt is crap. The small tables that adjust up and down for angles are very flimsies and will change its angle with no weight apply at all. Does not need to screw down as the weight shop it moving around.
Yours:
https://www.scosarg.com/record-power-bds150-combination-belt-disc-sand

Mine a Rockwell :
https://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK7...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B002CJLV0A

My table for the belt is really small, I wish it is the size of yours. My dust collection works quite well though. Also the noise level is quite high on mine.
Herb

Upon looking at it again yours shows the disc table being mounted on the belt position. Hmmmmm Wonder If I can do that too.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
i built my own belt sander 6x48 and desktop plate sander
I think almost all are now made in China. I have a small Harbor Freight model, got it close to 20 years or so ago, works fine, but don't use it a lot. But if it ever dies, and I feel I need another one, I will just make one. Plenty of free plans on-line, and not rocket science. You could even make them to use a drill for power, and just dismount the drill when you need it for something else.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Grizzly visibly is a structural problem in the way these shafts are not in parallel with each other that causes the belt not to align with the belt support, no matter how I adjust the belt tension! This tells me it's not carefully engineered and with no quality control.

Now I use This Disc/Belt Sander. Very powerful, absolutely must have for the price. It is great for both metal and woodworking jobs. Cheaper than buying the Skil brand equivalent at Lowes and so much better quality. It doesn't bind up and slow down when applying pressure, and it is solid cast iron.

Thanks for the heads up on the Wen. I have just recently bought the Wen Band saw , and I am quite happy with it. for the price they are acceptable quality I think.

The Wen brand goes back to the 50's, when it was mediocre power tools competing with the other American tools of better quality. they faded away when the Chinese tools came to be. Fairly recently a group of Chinese investors picked up the brand and came out with a line of tools and I think they are trying to break into a tough market and are building a line of quite good tools for a very reasonable price.
Just speculating on my part.
Herb

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Grizzly visibly is a structural problem in the way these shafts are not in parallel with each other that causes the belt not to align with the belt support, no matter how I adjust the belt tension! This tells me it's not carefully engineered and with no quality control.
That is interesting. I don't own any Grizzly products, but know a number of people who do, and they bought on the recommendations of other owners, some of them professionals. I have never heard anything bad about the quality of Grizzly, before now.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I have a Grizzly belt sander and like it. I don’t have a problem with the belt tracking. Sorry to say I had one from HF for a short time and hated changing belts on it so I bought the Grizzly and sold the HF cheap.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Thanks Joat for supporting me. Someone argue with me and tell me Grizzly is the best. That time I tell them to go to hell with your Grizzly Brand. :smile:
Supporting you? I must have missed something.

Your post:
Originally Posted by nancybrown View Post

My response to your post:
That is interesting. I don't own any Grizzly products, but know a number of people who do, and they bought on the recommendations of other owners, some of them professionals. I have never heard anything bad about the quality of Grizzly, before now.

I really do not see how my response 'supported' you, as I certainly did not agree with you. Would you care to explain how you came to the conclusion that I 'supported' you?

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Dear JOAT,
That time I was sleeping so much, that's why I wrote a mistake in sleeping. I am really sorry Joat.
Bye the way my friend tell me about this sander. I wanna share with you...
Like I said, if/when my little HF sander dies, I'll be making a replacement, not buying. :nerd:

Shop Guy, you, and/or some other Grizzly sander owners want to reply to this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts