Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas!
New to the forum, but I've been doing woodworking since high school (man, what a long time ago that was, but yes they DID have powertools!). The pieces I like to make are small. Mostly box type projects like music and jewelry boxes, and nick-nack shelves and such. Since I keep my projects small, and as my space for working is rather small, I rely on many bench top power tools. My table saw, drill press, jointer, router are all bench size. With these tools, as with most large shop equipment, one gets what one pays for, so I put down the bucks for the best tools I can get to improve on precision. I get really good results most of the time. The problem is this. When I am looking for tips, tricks, jigs, and general woodworking info all I get is full sized tool information. I can usually "pare down" jig plans to work ( sometimes....sometimes not), with my bench tools, but there must be sites geared to bench tool woodworking, eh? I am also interested in sites that cater their sales to bench top tools and accessories. If any of you guys have any sites that may help me, let me know. If there is no such thing then maybe I ought to put my computer skills to work next and we'll start one. I'm guessing that I'm not the only guy with limited space choosing to do small projects on smaller bench tools!
JT

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome to the club JTsteelblu
I must have gone to school before you as electric drills were fairly new outside industrial use.
Everything we did at school was done with hand tools.
We even had to use a brace and bit to drill the flex hole in a table lamp.
All my power tools are bench top ones with the exception of my table saw which I bought legs for.
As all my projects are much larger (furniture) it's been a real education learning how to make the best use of the tools I have.
Lack of space has my mitre saw on the same bench as the jointer.
I have to reach over the jointer to use the saw.
I now intend making a dual height bench so the jointer will not interfere with the saw and the adjacent bench top will be at the same height as the jointer outfield table.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts