Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Someone asked if they should buy a planer first or a jointer. I would buy the jointer first,this way you can build OK projects. If you buy a 6 inch jointer it says you can use it as a planer,not a very good idea.

Brady

·
Super Moderator
John
6,959 Posts
:)
Hello Brady, glad you found us, it's great to have you as a member of the community, welcome to Router Forums.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,944 Posts
Welcome to the forum Brady.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,539 Posts
Welcome to the forum Brady. I asked that question here a while back and I think the planer won.
I guess it would depend on your needs somewhat .

What type of dirt riding do you do . Dirt bike?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum Brady. I would find it hard to work without either one.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Howdy Brady. I would have to say a planer. Any good table saw can work as a jointer, with a good blade. It is very hard to flatten and square a piece of wood with a jointer only.

Dick

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi,
Someone asked if they should buy a planer first or a jointer. I would buy the jointer first,this way you can build OK projects. If you buy a 6 inch jointer it says you can use it as a planer,not a very good idea.

Brady
Since I bought my planer I found that the jointer gets very little use. I can edge joint boards up to six inches wide by standing on edge and running through. It helps if you have several boards at a time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Over the years every jointer I bought had a bad infeed and out feed top. I just bought a 6 inch bench top planer,both tops off from 10,000 to 25,000 of an inch.A machine shop in Elk Grove,CA serfaced both tops and the fence, now its a planer. Sad to see that most tools are made in China with no quality control.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,539 Posts
Hills and logging trails. Getting to old for a dirt bike,I think its time to go with 4 wheels.
I used to ride in the mountains a lot . A have a bit of arthritis from it lol, so I was debating to get a side by side someday . Probably never get one but I can always wish .
Thought a side by side would go hand in hand with photography as I like landscape photos

1 - 14 of 14 Posts