Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a Spindle Sander for my little shop. I have at times found myself thinking if I could sand in a bit of circle or curve it would be nice. I have looked at several different brands. I am presently no more than a hobbyist wood worker at best. So the question, I would like to ask of the forum is, do you have a preference of one brand over another. Again, I am but, a beginner in the wood working world. So advice as to what to purchase and what to look for to do the work I want to do in needed. I have looked at Rockwell, Triton, EJWOX , Fox and others. I do not want to spend a great deal of money on this item. If I find I use it more than I planned on, I will up grade to something better.

I would like to look at an Oscillating unit, but that is not an absolute. But I really know nothing about these type of sanders, other than what I have seen demonstrated and played with at a show. So your help from any all would be accepted in a most gracious manner.

I thank you and want it known that I do read and appreciate the forum greatly.

Thank You
Frank

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Don't buy a Ryobi. I can't keep a belt on it. Last one I bought was $10, didn't last long, and was a PITA to install.

They are handy for sanding curves. The oscillating ones wear more of the sleeve than stationary ones do but more moving parts mean more places to wear out eventually. A table that moves up and down would accomplish the same thing but I don't know if there are any like that.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I just followed CJ's link and the Triton TSPS450, the Wen 6510, the Rockwell RK 9011, and the Shop Fox W1831 are all the same machine. There may be more brands than those on that machine.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Years ago I started with the Delta BOSS and it did what I wanted OK, it had a stationary table,(non-Tilting), and did ok. When I replaced it I bought the Ridgid, and I work the dickens out of it on virtually every project. I use the belt as much as the sleeves. The tilting table has come in handy many times. When the belts or tubes get worn, I turn them upside down, or clamp a 3/4" board on the table to raise up the work to use the upper part of the belt. The dust collection port does a fairly good job of extracting the sawdust. If this one ever goes south,I will replace it with another Ridgid.

There are some others out there, a Grizzly, EJWOX<and WEN, I can't vouch for them, they have the drive spindle on the RH side, instead of the LH side like the Ridgid.

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I have Jet..
no complaints...

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
I"d throw out another vote for the Rigid.... Great lil machine for the money. Not really designed for a production shop, but for the hobbyist. I'd have to say I have a busy hobbyist shop and the thing just keeps going.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Gotta vote for the Ridgid. I use the belt sander all the time. Great little machine for the serious hobbiest. Mounted it on a cheap Walmart wheeled micro wave cart with a drawer and a basket underneath. Holds everythng and then some, also making it portable.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Here's another satisfied Rigid user.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I have a Triton but find the belt slips on the spindle. I should elaborate, this isn't a belted sander but an oscillating sander. I have to use very light pressure, almost too light. But I've only used the smaller of the spindles. I bought mine back in 12/17 from Amazon. It may well work better if you install the sanding sleeve and heat it slightly or mine may be just a bit off, sanding sleeve or rubber drum. Or it may be operator error. I really haven't used it that much yet.

Steve

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,236 Posts
I'm another happy Rigid user. I like having both the belt and spindle options.

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
Rigid for me as well. Has both a belt and a spindle capability and the changeover is quick and easy. Reliable, mediocre to OK sawdust collection. Oscilates, tilting table with ample power. I mostly use the belt. The spindle attachment comes with accessories for at least 5 different diameters. Right now it's $199 at homedepot.com (about $40 less than Amazon). Order online and have it delivered free to your local store.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...r+{product}+eb4424+{rest}++qu:{sander+eb4424}

I think from all the good feedback that Rigid owns this category.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I've had a Delta for about 20 years with no complaints but judging from the posts I should trade it on a Rigid. I have a few Rigid tools and they seem to work fine.

If you are just beginning you might want to (if you have a drill press) try the spindles that fit in the drill arbor as a cheap way to see if you need to invest in a stationary, dedicated unit. The dedicated machine is great if you do enough of that kind of sanding to justify the cost.

·
Registered
Paul
2,100 Posts
A while back I saw one on sale, so I decided to compare it with other makes. I found, as Charles mentioned, that many manufacturers appear to be selling the same sander. Now it is possible that some are made to higher specs but I doubt it. I found the same thing with scroll saws... Many brands - same saw, different colours. So check around, you may find the same sander by another company, for less or on sale.

I don't sand inside curves all that often, so I just have a set of sanding drums that I put in my drill press (I didn't check whether you have one). I drilled a hole through a scrap, larger than the biggest drum. I lay that on the drill press table, then raise the table so that the end of the sanding drum goes partially into that hole. A cheap set of four sanding drums and about 12 sleeves is often well under $10.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Another vote for the Ridgid, a happy user.

I do have one question for all the other users, have you tried to purchase any replacement parts other than belts? Out of curiosity I looked into replacing the belt mechanism and was advised by the local repair facility that the part was not available. Fortunately, I don't need the part but I was surprised by the response.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Ridgid and it has quickly established itself as an important piece of equipment in my shop, receiving much more use than I anticipated. It has performed quite well, is easy to use, provides good value and has exceeded my expectations - I would recommend it. In use, I connect it to a Dust Deputy / shop vac combination which seems to provide satisfactory dust collection, though a larger unit might capture more.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.