Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys has anyone used one ? I can't find a review on this product , and they've sold out at Home Hardware each time they were in stock . Lady working there says they sold like hot cakes , and they can't get them back in stock fast enough .
Looks like a neat concept , and I was going to buy one if they ever get them in stock again

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Benchmark is Home Hardware's house brand Herb so one and the same thing. It could be handy Rick depending on torque and whether the head stays locked in position. Another issue is whether you are able to put enough pressure on the bit to drive the screw.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Rick,

This looks very close to what you have shown. It was on sale at Lowes last week although their web site shows it as "Currently Unavailable".

FlipOut Power Driver ? Pell Industrial

The web site says that it's available on Amazon, although I never checked.

My wife bought me one a couple of years ago and it's very handy when you have to drive a screw in a tight space. It's not made for all day driving of large screws, but works well if used within it's limitations. No clutch, max speed is 170 rpm.

The model I have is the original, the newer/latest versions come with a removable (rather than built-in) battery so I'd have to throw mine out if the battery dies. I will say this - I needed to use it the other day to drive the screws inside the drawers for my adjustable workbench cabinets and the battery still had enough charge to drive the screws after sitting on the shelf for almost a year since its last use. Thinking that the battery is going to last as long as I need it based on that.

It's good for what they sell it for - a light duty screwdriver that's going to drive screws in tight/awkward places, it's never going to drive 3" deck screws though.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Benchmark Twistors

Must be a Canadian item. I don't see them at either our Home Depot or Lowes. Doesn't even Google .

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Must be a Canadian item. I don't see them at either our Home Depot or Lowes. Doesn't even Google .
Do a search under "Flipout screwdriver" or Pell Industrial (the manufacturer?).

This is the older model which I have, came with 18 insert bits, case and charger

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SpeedHex-Flipout-8-Volt-Max-Cordless-Driver-with-19-Piece-Bit-Set-and-20-Piece-Bonus-Bit-Set/50273923

This is the newer model which has the replaceable battery, the ad says it comes with bits but doesn't show that, nothing about the case.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SpeedHex-FlipOut-Lithium-Ion-Li-ion-Cordless-Screwdriver/1000017149

Amazon also carries the newer model, the reviews point out the differences, including replaceable battery, and improvements.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LRU6DGG?psc=1

·
Registered
235 Posts
SpeedHex FlipOut 2 Rechargeable Power Driver with Removable Battery and Bonus Bits – FOSH162BP

New and Improved Model with 360 Degree Orbital Rotation and 360 Degree Flexibility
380 Different Positions. SpeedHex Quick Release System. LED Work Light. Variable Speed Trigger
Rubber Over-Mold Comfort Grip. F/N/R Switch. 0 - 170 RPM and 55-65 in/lbs torque

CAD-Man

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SpeedHex FlipOut 2 Rechargeable Power Driver with Removable Battery and Bonus Bits – FOSH162BP

CAD-Man
I'm not sure if those are identical to Home Hardwares version ? But in the reviews , one guy was disappointed with the lack of torque .Malkes sense I guess . I don't really understand where the motor is , on the head , or is there some kind and of gear train that goes from the top back to the base area.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Yes!
Rick; I bought one for installing/uninstalling signage for various community functions (that I seem to have been saddled with).
Works like a hot damn. I have absolutely no complaints about its construction or quality; really skookum, eh.
Just for safety's sake I pull the battery pack off when I'm not using it.
Does everything it says it does. Well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'd be shocked if it's useable. Looks like a gimmick. Heavy, no power (battery or by hand), lots of failure points, another battery to charge and keep track of.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm not sure if those are identical to Home Hardwares version ? But in the reviews , one guy was disappointed with the lack of torque .Malkes sense I guess . I don't really understand where the motor is , on the head , or is there some kind and of gear train that goes from the top back to the base area.
If you do a side by side comparison other then the colors they appear to be identical. the placement of the switches, the cutout for the label, the pivot points, LED location and swivel of the LED, markings where the battery goes. The torque of 55-65 inch pounds is also the same.
I don't remember where I saw a picture of the thing partially tore apart but there is gearing between each pivot point. the motor is located in the main housing along with the battery.

CAD-Man

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
That does look like a neat idea, Rick. If you get one, I'll be interested to know how well it works.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
e
That does look like a neat idea, Rick. If you get one, I'll be interested to know how well it works.
Unfortunately they won't have them in stock till feb :(
But when they arrive I'll be sure to put in my 2 cents

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
O Ye of Little Faith!

I'd be shocked if it's useable. Looks like a gimmick. Heavy, no power (battery or by hand), lots of failure points, another battery to charge and keep track of.
Wrong on both accounts, Everend; it's a solid little machine. How much power do you want for a little screwdriver? I had no difficulty in driving 1 1/2" x #8 screws into Fir power poles, and removing them afterwards. For putting on electric faceplates in quantity etc., it's the perfect solution at a perfect price.
This isn't intended for driving 3x12 woodscrews or deckbuilding. But if you've got a project that requires installing dozens of smallish wood or machine screws, I highly recommend it. As for the joint mechanisms, they seem really rugged...at first I had my misgivings, but once I used it for a couple of hours I was totally satisfied.
Incidentally, it charges pretty quickly.:smile:

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Wrong on both accounts, Everend; it's a solid little machine. How much power do you want for a little screwdriver? I had no difficulty in driving 1 1/2" x #8 screws into Fir power poles, and removing them afterwards. For putting on electric faceplates in quantity etc., it's the perfect solution at a perfect price.
This isn't intended for driving 3x12 woodscrews or deckbuilding. But if you've got a project that requires installing dozens of smallish wood or machine screws, I highly recommend it. As for the joint mechanisms, they seem really rugged...at first I had my misgivings, but once I used it for a couple of hours I was totally satisfied.
Incidentally, it charges pretty quickly.:smile:
It looks like the perfect tool for installing drawer slides.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Incidentally, it charges pretty quickly.
Good to hear it has enough power. Years ago I used a black & decker powered screw driver for elect plate and ceiling fan assembly. After getting the 18v impact driver I stopped using the B&D because the 18v was so much faster.
My goto driver for screw plates is an older version of http://low.es/1BSMMoG. Lowes sells other versions of this driver that I would not recommend because it won't take any bits, only locking bits. This one can be used as a standard ratcheting driver or if there is little resistance one can hold the black ring and the driver will spin twice as fast. With this tool I can remove screws almost as fast as with the 18v. Many times faster than the old B&D.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts