Router Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
A note about dust collection with a Planer. When I got my planer last year, I used my shop vac as DC. Two weeks ago I bought the small Rikon DC from Woodcraft because my planer killed the shop vac. What I have noticed with the real DC is at that the planer itself performs better, because it gets the chips out of the knives way very quickly. The Dewalts have fantastic design around DC I have noticed. I have watched small chips that get spit on to the in feed table get sucked back in.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Jerry's the only one to get it close to being right. So far, all machines noted here are the same machine with different paint and decals. The best feature rich version is the SteelCity who place their products directly opposite Delta at the same price but with a few more "features."

I'm currently searching for information on resetting the pinch rollers so it would be possible to plane softwoods without snipe. The machines ship setup for a hardwood. Sometimes I think they only know about ironwood because even my hard sugar maple gets snipe.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Benchtop thicknesssers.

My thicknesser is a Woodstar, 8x6 this seems to give no snipe at all no matter what timber I use, see pic 56

Pic 57, shows my collection box connected to a vacuum that increases the capacity fourfold, just an in and out hose with a perforated baffle in between.

Picture 056.jpg (294.3 KB)
Picture 057.jpg (324.9 KB)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great Jig
I really like the full edge being sharpened perpendicular.
Also is the any reason a jig built to the right length couldn't be used for 15" planer blades or is that pushing the limits of what is reasonable?

Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
989 Posts
Great Jig
I really like the full edge being sharpened perpendicular.
Also is the any reason a jig built to the right length couldn't be used for 15" planer blades or is that pushing the limits of what is reasonable?

Thanks
Ray
I guess there is no reason at all, the only proviso being that you would need to beef-up the whole jig to accomodate th extra length, and, I guess, you would need to provide a couple of handles, go for it, and let us know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have just purchased a DW735. I never would have thought of some of the things listed here. Thanks again everyone for all the input. I am also getting snipe at the front and rear of my boards. If I do the train thing in the rear, can I also do it for the front? I have only gotten the snipe once in front, but always in the rear. I have not yet had the time to adjust the tables that came with it as I am out on a live at job right now. I will be home this weekend and see if I need to adjust the tables. Other than the snipe, I am very impressed with the finish cuts.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Jerry's the only one to get it close to being right. So far, all machines noted here are the same machine with different paint and decals
In that case take a look at something different, the Makita 2012NB. It's Makita's own design and seems pretty bullet proof, as you'd expect from Makita

Phil

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
In that case take a look at something different, the Makita 2012NB. It's Makita's own design and seems pretty bullet proof, as you'd expect from Makita

Phil
Hi Phil:

I wrote a planer summary that compares all of these machines. Take a look...

http://www.routerforums.com/woodwor...2-12-5-13-inch-planer-summary.html#post231367

I'd love that you were right but the Makita is the standard two screw, four column with column lock. The motor isn't even theirs'. The biggest advantage is that Makita will have parts for it down the road.

They used to have a gorgeous floor mount 240V monster that was a real factory. It could just keep on going on almost anything. That's gone out of production now :-(

If you have information that I've not included in the article I'd love to get a copy and I'll update my notes accordingly.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
I use a Delta TP305. This is a 12" model, no whistles or bells. I added the Delta vacuum port for a few dollars and it has performed very well. In the words of Mike Myers from the movie Mystery Alaska: "This ain't rocket surgery"

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I use a Delta TP305. This is a 12" model, no whistles or bells. I added the Delta vacuum port for a few dollars and it has performed very well. In the words of Mike Myers from the movie Mystery Alaska: "This ain't rocket surgery"
Hi Mike:

"This ain't rocket surgery" is absolutely right. Except, when you're trying to figure out what you get for your money. I went digging for the TP305. On Amazon it's running $266-. The identical PC305TP (Porter Cable brand on the same machine) was on sale at Lowes (US) for $220-. Why the difference in price on the same machine? Amazon is supposed to be cheaper than Lowes isn't it?

When I did the comparison, it wasn't trying to evaluate machines but try to find some way to figure out if we're getting our money's worth. The best deal I can find to date is the SteelCity 40200 ($250- the early one, mine -- not the later "H" version) and the SteelCity 40300H. Now, get this: The SteelCity 40200H (the current version) is a 2 screw, helix head, 26fpm, single speed machine. The SteelCity 40300H is a _4_ screw, helix head, 26 fpm, single speed machine. (the helix head is worth about $200) The price listed at ...

Planer Helical Head | Woodworking Equipment & Machinery

puts the 40200H at $100 more than the 40300H for half the machine. Same head, same speed, two screws vs 4 for the 40300H. The 40200H has column lock as an attempt to overcome snipe. But, all of the machines of this class suffer from snipe. It's inherent in the design. The only one to attempt to overcome this is the DeWalt 735 with a wider stance but I've heard people complaining about snipe on that one too.

If you can figure any other way of comparing prices I'd welcome the discussion.

That said, Mike does raise a good subject, to wit, is it even worth while to try to figure out if we're getting good value for our money? Personally, I live on a small pension and I have to be careful. I'll spend good money but it better be well worth it.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Ron, when I bought my planer it ws on sale at Rockler for $200 and came with a $25 gift card. I really like saving money.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I recently got a refurb dewalt 735 for just under $400 and a helix cutter for just over $400, so for $800 I now have a planer that does the job of at least a $1200 planer. I love it!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I recently got a refurb dewalt 735 for just under $400 and a helix cutter for just over $400, so for $800 I now have a planer that does the job of at least a $1200 planer. I love it!
Hi Michael:

Have you used a straight blade machine before? How do you find the helix head compared to the straight blade? How is the snipe on the 735? Does the helix head contribute to or help eliminate snipe? Any further comments on the 735? Could you write a critique for us?????

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Michael:

Have you used a straight blade machine before? How do you find the helix head compared to the straight blade? How is the snipe on the 735? Does the helix head contribute to or help eliminate snipe? Any further comments on the 735? Could you write a critique for us?????
I had a dewalt 733 before it was a piece of junk even though I used it for many years. The two blades never stayed sharp but at least they were resharpenable. Then I got the 735 it had three replacable blades that didnt stay sharp and were not resharpenable and cost as much (about $50.00 per set)to replace as the resharpenable ones for the older planer.
So far I love the helix cutter, it is much quieter than the straight blades, cuts smoother and so far seems to be able to keep good sharpness. I really like the fact that there is no need for a cutter lock like on the 733 to prevent head movement which contributes to end snipe.

End snipe is not caused by blade type, it's caused by the way you operate the planer. If you feed the lumber in right and support it properly when exiting the machine there will be no snipe. It took me a few tries to find out what works best with the 735, just make sure to hold the board down tightly to the table when inserting into the planer and keep the end supported well when exiting. I don't have or feel I need the extension tables for this planer.

If you don't have a dust system connected to the 735 it will cover your shop with saw dust, the blower does a fine job of keeping the cutters clear of shavings.

·
Registered
220 Posts
One more observation: The only thing that keeps the 735 from being a nice production machine is the motor. While making several passes planing over 100 bd ft of oak the motor circuit breaker popped a few times. But then it's not a big 3hp induction motor.

The 735 with a spiral cutter head is a very adequate planer for the home workshop or even a small production shop.

·
Registered
989 Posts
BeSt bench top thicknesser.

I've had this one for a number of years, obviously of chinese origin, but does a good job, don't know if it is available over there though, a Woodstar, priced about £200:00. 5591204277_126f792094_m.jpg (23.2 KB)

Attachments

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.