Router Forums banner

Best CNC Router for SBO

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  4DThinker 
#1 ·
Hi, I am in the market to get a cnc router. I used the shopbot in college so I'm familiar with that brand, but I'm not as versed in the many different brands out there. I am a small business owner who is interested in getting small sized cnc router. I will use this machine to cut out images in wood, nothing to technical. Do you all have any suggestions for me?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the information and the images! I am going to do my best to stay under 7K out the door. I'd like to go with a medium sized machine. I agree that going with the smallest size might get frustrating after a while bc of limitations. You can view some of my work on my website one-nationunderGod.com - everything is done by hand with a drimmel tool.

The jobs that I want the machine for are, in my mind, very simple to start off, but I am excited to see where I can go and what I can learn. It has always been a dream of mine to own my own cnc router.

Another factor that I am concerned with is noise. I currently work out of my garage. I'm considering adding sound proofing walls to keep some of the noise down, but I'm interested to know if anyone else has some insight regarding noise.

I have been looking into the probotix brand and have recently spoken to Leo (owner?). He seems very nice and really helpful.

Aside from ordering the CNC machine, what other expenses can I expect?

Discussion starter · #9 ·
I know I replied to this earlier, but doesn't look like it saved. Thank you all for the tips and good information. I agree that I shouldn't go with the smallest size, so I'm thinking a medium range. I'd like to be out the door at or under 7K. I have been researching a lot about probotix. I actually spoke with Leo (owner?) yesterday. They seem very quick to respond to inquiries and phone calls, which is really important to me! The work I do is going to be a piece of cake for these machines and I am excited to see what I can learn and how I can push the cnc to the limits. If interested, you can view some of my work on fb @onenationunderGodflags. I can't post my website address bc of the restrictions regarding site addresses.

Thank you MT Stringer for the pictures! This helps out a lot as I can get a better understanding on how much space I need.

A few items I'd like some input on: 1. I'm interested in what items are necessary to purchase with the cnc router. What things can I live without? What things can I live without, but would be best if I went ahead and purchased them? 2. I'm working in my garage, so I'm concerned about the noise level. Does anyone have any tips or input regarding noise? TIA

Discussion starter · #13 ·
spindles

Hi friends, I've been trying to do some research on spindles. I can purchase an 80mm air cooled spindle with VFD as an add-on from Len's site for $800. When I do a quick search online everything I see is half the price... I know there is a reason behind it but can someone enlighten me?.? :) TYIA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.