Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to install a router lift and use a nice 3 hp router dedicated for router table use. I will most likely go for the Woodpeckers PRL lift that is chain driven and looks really nice, but need to decide on a good dedicated router that has the power to handle anything I want to do. I was planning to get a shaper, but have decided to go this route instead. I've heard heard good things about the Milwaukee ones and of course the old standard PC speedmaster.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Is there a question hiding in there somewhere? Both are good quality name brands with excellent support. And there are others that fit the bill as well. Maybe it would be a good idea to see who has local parts and service available?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After raising the question, I gave the whole idea of my router set up a lot of thought and opted to keep the router table simple and put the money into a shaper and bought one today. Now, I'll cover all bases and be able to do the heavy duty stuff I can't do with a router table like making custom entry doors which I have an interest in doing.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Paul
I guessing you did check the prices on the cutters for a shaper.
Like for a door set(s) C2174 at 209.oo set (3/4" bore dia.)
C2171,C2175,C2170,C2169,C2967 at 60.oo ea. and the C2027 at
36.oo ea. most of the shaper cutters will be about 36.oo to 60.oo ea.
They do make a molding head for the shaper that's neat G2320,G2606 that you can get many knives for ,that you can't get for the router like G2627,G2618 just two of many.
from
http://www.grizzly.com

I had one that was a 2 HP 220 volt and was a bit low on power I should have got one that was 5hp 220 volt, I sold mine becase of the price for the cutters and the pain to set them up.
I do wish you all the luck and please post how you like it after you run it for a bit.

Bj :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a follow up, I received the shaper a few days ago and have been busy but tonite I spent time with it. The model I got is a Grizzly 1 1/2 hp and so far it seems like a good asset for my shop. I plan to use it for things I can't handle on my router set up in my table saw extension and always planned on using them both - not one doing everything. Sure, the shaper cutters are more expensive than router bits, but for larger than 3/4" stock, what choice do you have? I intend to use the machine for entry and interior doors in a non production setting. I also see myself using it for spinning the rail and stile bits I already have with 1/2" shafts. The router attachment that I bought as an accessory is slick. I thought it gets tightened down like a router bit into the spindle collet in the shaper, but it works better than that. A threaded rod screws into the router collet attachment and then you slide the whole assembly through the shaper motor and tighten a bolt on the other side of the motor. What's more, the router collet has a slotted side to keep it seated when you insert it. I don't see any problem running this shaper with 1/2" bits.

The only thing I know I'll do is to skip using the factory split fence that is a big bulky cast iron device and instead make or modify a router table type fence so that adjustments are quick and tool-less. Plus, you don't have to buy shaper bits at retail. Sure, they're $250 new retail, but for a person like me who may make a door only occasionally, there's always Ebay... I'm designing a new front door. I'll have to check back and let you know how it turned out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
paulcomi said:
Sure, the shaper cutters are more expensive than router bits, but for larger than 3/4" stock, what choice do you have? I intend to use the machine for entry and interior doors in a non production setting.
Hi Paul,

One other option is to use router bits for exterior and interior doors. In fact, the new ones we just came out with (99-267) are superior to most of the shaper cutters in terms of a simple way to make long tenons. To do this on a shaper requires a special spindle and cutters. I hope you didn't opt for the shaper for this reason.

paulcomi said:
I also see myself using it for spinning the rail and stile bits I already have with 1/2" shafts.
I hope that works well for you. The RPM of the shaper could be an issue with the router bits because the feed rate will be extremely slow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well if ya weren't using a lift I say go to a show and get a Triton 3.25 HP router for $190.00..
I was at a show and wanted to buy one but they they don't accept AMEX I asked them if they'd give me the show price od $190.00 and they did. In a table the Triton is at it's best as it's plenty powerful and heavy but just about everything else about is substandard.

Still, if all you want is a table router I submit that you get yourself the most powerful one you can with a speed control. It's going to be a stationary tool so you want as much power as you can get and you will be running large bits so you'll want to slow 'em a bit too.

If you intend to swap it in and out of the table the decision becomes more complex.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.