Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am somewhat new to woodworking. I have built a few pieces (workbenches and tables), but I am preparing to begin a new project building shelves and cabinets for a room in my new home. The wood I have used previously to build my pieces is from Home Depot or Lowes, and I'm not sure it is the best quality wood. I am looking for very good quality wood for my next project. Does anyone have a suggestion on a place where I should buy the wood in the area of Seacoast New Hampshire or by ordering it? I am interested in good prices, but primarily focused on getting high quality wood for this particular project.

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have been buying from ebay...one seller is "http://shop.ebay.com/carewwood/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340" ,excellent people to do business with...another good one is "http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200427672219&category=84011&sspagename=rvi:1:1" the quality of the wood has been extremely good.
Teo

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Look for a supplier that deals in hardwoods near you. A local cabinet shop or any trim carpenters might know of a local source. You will find the quality & different grades of quality ply much better than what Home Depot & Lowe's would carry. They pretty much only carry one grade of birch & oak ply. For cabinet face frames & the such I like to use 4/4 stock hardwood. The box stores carry 3/4" stock & after machining & sanding it ends up being thinner than desired for some jobs.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Wes

I get great wood from garage sales :), you will find old tables that you can get for a song, the tops are the norm the best ,many come with extra leaves the norm.the last one I got was a Maple 1" x 4ft. x 10 ft. for only 30.oo bucks :) moving sales are the best...

========

Hello,

I am somewhat new to woodworking. I have built a few pieces (workbenches and tables), but I am preparing to begin a new project building shelves and cabinets for a room in my new home. The wood I have used previously to build my pieces is from Home Depot or Lowes, and I'm not sure it is the best quality wood. I am looking for very good quality wood for my next project. Does anyone have a suggestion on a place where I should buy the wood in the area of Seacoast New Hampshire or by ordering it? I am interested in good prices, but primarily focused on getting high quality wood for this particular project.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Welcome to the Forums, Wes. Here is a search site where you may be able to find a lumber source near you... Woodfinder. I found a hardwood dealer less than 10 miles from my house using this site.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us. All the sources mentioned are good. You didn't say if you could process any wood, ie planer and joiner. If you can it opens a great source of wood were you are at in New England, just look into small mills in your area by checking with some locak wood workers.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Hello Wes, and welcome to the RouterForums. Thanks for joining.

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello,

Wes,

Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood, NH has a great selection and your check out their inventory and prices on line.

Highlandhardwoods.com

Ralph

·
Bargains Finder
770 Posts
Best I,ve ever found was in the Materials section of Craigslist, usually some great deals and a good way to meet some people in that industry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts