Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it is that time of year again when I get a small yearly bonus from my company. And, seeing as how I have already spent ten times the amount I am getting I thought I might as well make it eleven and invest in a router table. I already have built a router table but I would like to invest in a Rockler laminated table with a lift. The question is, should I put my Bosch 1611 EVS plunger router with variable speed start up or my twenty year old Craftsman non-plunger router in the table. I would think it would be a no brainer to put in the plunger router but what happens if I need a plunger router to do something free hand. Therefore, I put the question to you, which one would you install in your table?

Jim in Phoenix

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Jim, Bosch recommends that the 1611 not be used table mounted. I bet that helps in your decision. :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
If you buy a lift, then you'll want a router motor that fits the lift. The Bosch 1617 motor and PC 690 motor both are 3.5" diameter, which is one of the standard lift sizes. As Mike said, the Bosch plunge base is not designed for table mount, but the fixed base is great and allows for above the table adjustment without a lift. (yes, you have to reach under to clamp/unclamp the base). For the cost of a lift, you could pick up a second 1617 with a fixed base and a Musclechuck (for above table bit changes).

Your needs/wants may be different than mine--but when faced with that question i picked up a second router kit (1617EVSPK) instead of a lift. No regrets at all!!

earl

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I have used a pair of 1617's for over 12 years for most of my routing.

Just to be clear the only Bosch plunge router that can be used in a table is the 1619EVS.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hi Jim, I have 9-plunge routers mounted in shop-made tables. Once install I can't tell much difference in them. I seldom change the bits, but all do what I need for them to do. I have Bosch, Triton, Freud, and Hitachi, and a Ryobi. I have occasionally taken one or two out to do free-hand work without any problems. Malcolm / Kentucky USA

·
Registered
11 Posts
So just to clear this up, the plunge base that comes with the 1617EVSPK can't be table mounted?

Would someone interested in buying a router mostly for use in a table be better off buying the 1617EVSTB?

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Blake, people have mounted the 1617 plunge base in tables but as I said Bosch does not recommend this. The plunge base is best for hand use while the fixed base is the best for table mounted use. The best choice is the 1617EVSPK. The difference between the table only base and the fixed base is handles; the handles are usually removed for table use so the difference is zip. Both the table only and fixed bases have the through the table adjustment feature.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts