Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started to get into routing, but, as things go, I seem to have run into a problem. First off, I recently purchased a Bosch 1617evspk combo router. I then purchased from Oak Park their router workshop table & floor stand, 11" Router Base Plate, Brass insert and ring nut, router vacuum assembly kit. Put everything together, attached my shop vac to the vacuum system and wanted to make a few dado cuts with a straight bit. Well, there was dust everywhere. There was a great deal of dust in the router compartment and also on the floor. I think there was 90% of the dust there and 10% where it was supposed to go -- in the vacuum system.

I called Oak Park and spoke to their technical staff today. They tried to help but so far I still have what amounts to no dust collection system. They told me they are going to do a little testing with the info I gave them and get back to me tomorrow. I then wanted to see if I would get dust all over the place by taking a cup of sawdust, turning on the vacuum and see if dust went all over the place. This is with the router not running. Well, doing it that way all the dust went into vacuum. So at least I know there are no leaks in the vacuum set up. But with all this dust I can't see how I can use this system in my shop at home in my basement.

Has anyone used this system? Somehow I may have something set up wrong, but so far Oak Park or myself has not been able to figure it out.

Any suggestions out there?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you get the machined block that goes to the right side of the fence to allow waste to be sucked downward into the side port of the vacuum system? The 11" base plate does have the two rectangular holes, one on the right and one at the front. You will get some debris down in the router compartment but that just softens the clunk when dropping the wrenches at bit change. I built the table you have and installed the vacuum system and most of the time it works great. Good luck...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exboss said:
Did you get the machined block that goes to the right side of the fence to allow waste to be sucked downward into the side port of the vacuum system? The 11" base plate does have the two rectangular holes, one on the right and one at the front. You will get some debris down in the router compartment but that just softens the clunk when dropping the wrenches at bit change. I built the table you have and installed the vacuum system and most of the time it works great. Good luck...
Yes, I did get the machined block. After trying out a lot of different combinations to help reduce the dust, I finally got it to an acceptable level. I get practically no dust at all on the top of the table. The suction holes, along with the machined block pretty much take care of it. I do get sawdust in the router compartment. I put some ductwork around the router, and also placed a towel on the bottom of the router compartment. Additionally I have placed a 4X4 drop cloth on the floor under the router stand. So any dust I get is quickly taken care of with the shop vac. So far, I am pretty satisfied with Oak Park. Their customer service is good, they seem to want to help, and as a newbie, I appreciate all the help I can get.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Inagel, The 1617 is my weapon of choice too. Did you remove the wooden handles to give yourself more clearance under your table? I use a shop vac attached to my home built fence and it does a decent job collecting the bulk of the sawdust. This is the final week of Rockler's clearance sale, you might be interested in the tubes of T-track with knobs and T-bolts they have on sale; they are perfect for building jigs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Router Dust

I have just started to get into routing, but, as things go, I seem to have run into a problem. First off, I recently purchased a Bosch 1617evspk combo router. I then purchased from Oak Park their router workshop table & floor stand, 11" Router Base Plate, Brass insert and ring nut, router vacuum assembly kit. Put everything together, attached my shop vac to the vacuum system and wanted to make a few dado cuts with a straight bit. Well, there was dust everywhere. There was a great deal of dust in the router compartment and also on the floor. I think there was 90% of the dust there and 10% where it was supposed to go -- in the vacuum system.

I called Oak Park and spoke to their technical staff today. They tried to help but so far I still have what amounts to no dust collection system. They told me they are going to do a little testing with the info I gave them and get back to me tomorrow. I then wanted to see if I would get dust all over the place by taking a cup of sawdust, turning on the vacuum and see if dust went all over the place. This is with the router not running. Well, doing it that way all the dust went into vacuum. So at least I know there are no leaks in the vacuum set up. But with all this dust I can't see how I can use this system in my shop at home in my basement.

Has anyone used this system? Somehow I may have something set up wrong, but so far Oak Park or myself has not been able to figure it out.

Any suggestions out there?
You were right to test that cup of sawdust. Next step would be to turn the router on, in a completely clean shop, WITHOUT the vacuum on, and do 1 pass, and inspect where the dust lands. Then, turn the router off,, turn the vac on, and see if any of the stationary dust gets collected.

The problem may be that the dust is being "thrown" in a different direction than the vacuum which is present, and this dust might be being thrown at a stronger velocity and direction than the vacuum is able to overcome.

Maybe check the vacuum filter and unclog it a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.