Router Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its one and a half year when se moved to our new home. Since the I've been planing and remodeling and organized My new shop. Its quite ok but not ready. There is an empty space ca. 2,8x7,5m and 4m high behinde the lumber rack and on the opposite side a one car garage so I have the rolls quite good in the owen?
My shop is behinde that "oldtimer" MB 709D. The second floor is empty so if I need more of extra space I get it from abowe and If that is not enough then we have an option in the same yard...
In this end 18m wide and total length 45 meters...
Have a nice Weekend!!

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
That's many times bigger than the space you started out with Esko. There is an unwritten rule however, that says no matter how big your shop is you will eventually over fill it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
It looks like a great place Esko but you could use some order, at least you're working.
Do you have problem finding things?

Bryan

·
Registered
18,989 Posts
@Tiny Storage cabinets on the walls really help. Use pegboard to cover those studs, or at least a section or two. It's easy to hang things on that wall the you frequently use. I made closed cabinets for all my machines and put castors on them so I can push them out of the way. I'm going to put drawers in most of them eventually. Drawers are the best way to store many items.

I have two workshop areas, each is about 12 x 22 ft. One in the garage the other in a shed in the back yard. The shed is packed. on one end are the tools and some racks for jigs, on the other end is the bench. I have shelving on both sidewalls of the bench, the open shelving holds things I use often, the other side has tools, bitsk, blades, etc in plastic boxes with closed tops.. The ends are labeled so I know what's where. The Delta band saw is gone, replaced with a large bench model drill press.

I keep everything off the floor so I can clean out the sawdust. I have a suspended shelf at the highest point in the shed shop where I can keep picture frame material nice and straight. Here are some pictures that may help you plan storage. As you can see, space is tight, but workable and unogstructed for safety reasons.

The folding workbench is very helpful. Big for large projects, small for small ones. There's enough room to walk around it. If I need more space, the outfeed table on the table saw gets used.

You can see how the cabinets let me stack a lot of tools in a small space. Notice the air filter hanging from the ceiling. Shelving on the back wall is about 18 inches wide so I can store things up high. The corner shelves go floor to ceiling and hold larger jigs., but leave an open space so I can cut longe things on the table saw, which sits near the middle. The wall on the other side is all pegboard with tools and other items hanging on pegs.

The Sliding Miter saw is surrounded by a plastic shower curtain that reduces the amount of sawdust that gets into the shop.

My parallel clamps hanf from the pegboard on double hooks. Simple and compact. Smaller clamps hang on long pegs, and the medium length clamps hang on the end of the wire shelving. Very handy and out of the way.

The wire shelving holds the plastic containers with labels, tape and misc. items I don't use much are near the top and the very top shelf is for wood storage.

The open shelves on the other side hold things I use a lot, including gloves, dust masks, rechargers and batteries and drills. Not shown is the very of the bench end of the shop, which has a counter and various storage boxes for small parts. Lights hang over the main tools with strip lights (under counter type) light up this end of the shop.

While it isn't perfect, it didn't cost much, the sawdust is under control, and I can find most things pretty fast. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Esko..
consider using storage along the lines of this..
the doors slide so they can be used as wall space...
this shop is 4.5x5.75M...
not shown is the table saw and BMW 650 bike..

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
drawer content/arrangement......

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good question Brian: "Can you find things..." I've worked hard for my client 250km from home almost every weekend (5 days>60h) over a month in august and after the last time I came home Ive been so fedup with her (client) that I havent had the energy or the mood to get it back organized how it was before I started to drive back and forth. I only have the main table fixed where I restore the window frames. But to your question do I find things-yes I do but the litter on the floor and 70% beeing upsidedown IS getting on my nerv ?. Besides the winter is coming and I must empty my car from tools and get them allso back in the shop...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks TwoSkies for your kind words!!
Im not good in advertaising or to sell my self but Im good with what Im doing with my hands and I love my work. I've allways tryed to make the best of it I what I have and now Ive got to admit that I feel my self lucky to have such a nice shop and customers. Now Im in a situation that sometimes I think that it would be nice to have time to make some own stuff.
Ive got so good answers from you how to fix my shop to get it even better that I think I will print it and hang it on the wall?

·
Registered
18,989 Posts
With yours Stick and Tom pics and advises on how to get the shop organized I will have enough material for the rest of my life!!
It probably won't take that long to get it all done. Shelving and the plastic tubs were each done in a week or two. Just clear out the space first and put them up. The wire shelving just needs to have 2 or 3 virtical pieces screwed deep into the studs and the shelves go righ up. You can adjust their height as needed. The cabinets for tools are pretty easy to make. the doors on mine are really just ply with a decorative trim on them that looks like a panel door, but really is not. You can add drawers later if you want.

Open shelves work OK but as Stick's pictures show, many tools are happier and easuer to find in drawers.

Just start with one area, then another, then another and soon you'll be organized. You will like working in your shop much more each time you finish a section. :smile:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts