Router Forums banner

Bird's-Mouth Router Bits for 1/4" or 8 mm shank

11K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Are Qvale 
Hi Are and welcome. I did a quick search and all I was able to find were half inch shafts. I'm not familiar with the hollow spear you refer to. Can you describe what you want to do? There may be other methods open to you.

Are we still don't know much about you or what tools and skills you have but at least we know where you are now. I don't think you will find those bits in a small shaft size to fit your router. What you might be able to find is a 30* bevel bit though. If the edges of each board were beveled at that angle then that should equal 360* total and you would have a full circle. In order to get a taper you would need to taper the boards first and without knowing more about you I can't suggest how you should do that.

I tried building arch rafters for a while for the buildings that have a tarpaulin cover. On 3/4" material I was required to make a tapered 9" (about 250mm) long splice. There were only 2 glues I was allowed to use. Either polyurethane or resourcinol, both of which are 100% waterproof. I suppose I could have used epoxy too but that would have been too expensive.

I thought about adding splines but not knowing what he has to work with that could be tricky because you have to cut the slots at 30*. I suppose a biscuit cutter could do it. It's easily set to 30* and once you start it I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to slide it along the board to make a continuous groove.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.