31,264 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
yes...
they work well..
LeeValley has a very good set...
Bird's-Mouth Joinery Bits™ - Lee Valley Tools

if you work out the angles you can makw the cuts on the table saw using a dado blade...
I saved this article years ago, really liked the look of the finished lamp - wife didn't, enough said. The article shows making the joint with two passes on the TS, but it looks as if one of those bits would be perfect (and a lot easier). But the wife still doesn't like the lamp..............

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I never thought that the table saw with a dado stack would be a alternative but it does make sense. Any advantage/disadvantage or using the tablesaw.
cheaper/faster...
more versatility..

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I saved this article years ago, really liked the look of the finished lamp - wife didn't, enough said. The article shows making the joint with two passes on the TS, but it looks as if one of those bits would be perfect (and a lot easier). But the wife still doesn't like the lamp..............
dado blade..
one pass...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The angles on a router bit are preset so there is no setup to get right. I have some cheap MLCS ones that I got cheap on ebay but I haven't had a chance to use them yet. After looking at Bob's box he used his for I'm more motivated than I was before.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I use the bird mouth bit all the time. I make column (like plant stands), boxes for wedding where they put a bottle of wine in to be opened in the future, as well as box corners. One of the pictures I posted about I used the bit.

Malcolm / Kentucky USA

Attachments

·
Registered
Paul
2,100 Posts
When I started reading this thread, I was thinking of (sunny)Bob's boxes. The high contrast of the one with the dark corners makes it very easy to see the process. They should use a pic from Bob or Malcolm on the LeeValley page but then customers may complain when theirs don't come out as nice. ;)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I've made a couple of diagonal corner cabinets where I've left the front edge of the side panel square and cut a 45° bevel on the back of the face frame, a little fussy sometimes as you're trying to fit to the inside corners of the cabinet. I'd saved this photo from an article, thinking that it might be the way to try the next one, add a little visual appeal at the same time.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.