Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our grandkids showed up for a couple of days. At 12yrs old, Wyatt is a kick in the pants and loves to do "manly man" things. I taught him to shoot at 4, and now he kicks my butt. So last Friday we spent a couple of hours at the range and then he wanted to do "something" in the shop. His father (my son) is just starting his woodworking venture and is using mostly hand me down tools. This includes a set of chisels. I suggested that Wyatt make his father a mallet for his birthday. So to get familiar with the lathe, I had Wyatt make a spindle, and then set him up for the mallet. With just gentle guidance and suggestions, and a 4x4 piece of mystery wood, this is the result. I get the biggest kick out of that smile! The mallet is finished with 3 coats of 1# shellac.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Bob, the smile tells it all and I'm sure your son will be doubly pleased. I had my first introduction to shop class in grade 8 (a million years ago) and made a horse's head on a plaque which I gave to my parents. When we cleaned out the house after my parents had both passed, that small project was still in there - amazing.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
https://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Woodwork

Just noticed the shirt he was wearing! If he hasn't done it yet, he needs to find a counselor for the woodworking merit badge. <actually, it looks like he already has >
We read through the requirements, I can sign off on a small part. He is currently working on 3 other badges, he wants to be an Eagle scout by the time he 14.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.