Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding some garden furniture with new cedar wood. The joints on the back frames are unglued tongue and groove. I assume they are just to keep the back frame from twisting and that's why they aren't glued. Could I use biscuits for these joints instead of tongue and groove?
I am having a lot of leg problems lately and I am looking for the lazy way to do things I guess. I could do the tongue and groove but I have to set up two separate routers to do it. Biscuits would be much quicker.;) I just want to make sure the joint will be strong enough.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Deb,
IMHO I think biscuits would be adequate for this application. I would however, suggest you use an exterior glue, maybe even one of the polyurethane glues. Though the cleanup can be a pain, they will fill any minor voids in the joint and help prevent future water intrusion.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tim! Would Titebond III be adequate? It's supposed to be waterproof once it's 100% dry. I can keep the benches indoors for 24-48 hours to give the glue time to dry.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think biscuits would work OK and the tightbond 3 is great, Instead of biscuits you could always use a spline in your miters quick and easy on the table-saw.. 2nd thought biscuits are faster...
Whats the cats name?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
In short, "yes".

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are actually 2 cats in the picture. The black one is Little Guy and the tortiose shell was named Little Bit. I called her that when I found her when she was about 3 months old, and weighed less then a pound. Now she answers to Fatty. :)

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh she loves food! Her favourite is chocolate pudding. I think that's how she got to be "Fatty". She is a very strange cat but totally loveable. She follows me around like a dog. Loves to be out in the shop with me. Gets into and onto everything. If I start something up she leaves but waits on the other side of the door for me no matter how long I'm in there. Hard to beat a friend like that! :)

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,040 Posts
Deb, Tim is my kind of man. I love biscuits because they're done in an instant and modern adhesives are stronger than the wood.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts