Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at getting a biscuit jointer. I've noticed that there are router slot cutting sets out there to cut biscuits. Other than weird angles, is there a benefit to having a biscuit jointer, rather than just the router bits? I mean, I've been looking at the PC 557, so its $180 vs $30.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I put my vote in for the real biscuit cutter but I have to admit I have never used the router ones. I say this because of the way the modern one are "in line" with the cutter rather then the way the router ones work where you are pushing parallel to the line of the cutter..... is this makings sence????? It's late so if you want a more detailed answer it will have to be another time.....

Ed

·
Banned
666 Posts
Best bet is to go with the real biscuit machine as it is much safer and more versatile. eg Inserting a biscuit say for a centre shelf as an instance.
Tom

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,945 Posts
I can heartily recommend the PC 557. I picked mine up a few years back when they were still over $200 and would buy it again at that price. After looking at the router kits for cutting biscuits, the two biggest advantages are speed and accuracy. Having to fiddle with setting up the router jig for each cut, versus setting up the joiner once and then knocking out all of your cuts make me lean towards the biscuit joiner.

If that is still too high of an expense, I think you could buy a nice spiral router bit ($20-$40) and set yourself up for making splined joints or loose tenon joints. Not as fast as a biscuit joiner, but as versatile and very strong. Since the bit is a vertical bit vs. the horizontal slot cutter, you can work in the center of a board.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I was figuring the router bits were too good to be true, and there had to be a reason why a jointer was better. The 557 is $180 at Amazon, plus I've got a $20 promotional certificate from another purchase a while back, plus if I get my order of $199, there is another $25 off, PLUS, I signed my wife up for an Amazon credit card, which gets me $30 off an order. All in all, not a bad deal. I thought their price was good to begin with.
:sold:
Thanks guys!

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Salty, I have a Freud biscuit jointer and a Craftsman BisKit adapter for one of my routers. The Craftsman adapter does a good job and addresses the safety issues Tom brought up; the cutter is covered with a plastic case to keep fingers away. The only drawback is you can't cut into the middle of the flat side of a board, only an edge. This device is the $40 solution to glueing up flat panels or boxes.(If you own a Craftsman router)
I got the Freud in a swap with a buddy, havent used it yet, so no opinion on it. Hopefully you will have located different brands and put hands on them to compare features before ordering one. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Be sure to dry fit all of your biscuits before you start to apply any glue. Any biscuits that feel even a little bit tight will be a real bear once you start your glue up. Throw them away. Don't waste your effort trying to jam them in, or squeezing them in a vise to make them thinner or putting them in the oven to dry out the moisture. Only buy the quantity you can use in a reasonable time and keep them in a zip lock bag with the air squeezed out or in tupperware.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts