Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is your collet suppose to be very difficult to loosen enough to get the bit out. I've seen people change bits in videos and looks like a quarter turn of the wrench and the bit almost falls out. I seem to have to make 4-5 complete turns before I can get the bit out. I am using a dewalt 618 in a rockler plate if that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I don't know about the DeWalt system but the Makita 3612c and the Bosch MRC23EVSK system bit release is easy, for me maybe one full turn of the one(Makita) or two wrenches (Bosch).

·
Registered
98 Posts
The dw618 has a catch that you have to loosen and then turn a little more and it tightens up, then you turn a little more to loosen. This is normal. I think it is built in as a fail asfe to keep the bit from coming loose while the machine is running. Don't know if this makes since to you but it is normal.

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
My PCs and Boschs require less than a full turn to loosen the collet so it can be finger turned. Then, after a few finger turns, all the PCs need the wrenches to get past a second tight spot before the bit can be removed.

Reactions: JFPNCM and DaninVan

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The dw618 has a catch that you have to loosen and then turn a little more and it tightens up, then you turn a little more to loosen. This is normal. I think it is built in as a fail asfe to keep the bit from coming loose while the machine is running. Don't know if this makes since to you but it is normal.
It also allows you to insert bit, partially tighten, lift bit 1/8" and it will stay in place while you completely tighten

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too bad there are no auto spindle locks so you only need one hand to change. The button to release on the 618 seams to always be blocked and ther isn't much room for 2 wrenches in theer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I agree with Steve. I thought something was wrong with my DW618 until I asked the same question as you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This has been the case on several European routers I've owned. It doesn't stop the bit from coming loose in the chuck, but it can't fly out. The Porter Cable I now use in my table doesn't have that facility.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
My Hitachis are the same as Steve`s, Gene`s, and the others. You have to loosen twice.

Jon is correct that the Musclechuck is the only one handed type available. It tightens with an allen wrench and only requires one quarter turn and it reportedly holds more securely (4x) that a standard collet. It was developed by John DeRosa who is a member of the forum and he was giving forum members a discount in the past and may still be.

http://www.routerforums.com/general-routing/41941-understanding-collet-replacements-extensions.html
Quick Change Camless Router Chuck Wood Working Accessories

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My Ridgid has that second bite, that most are talking about. But 4 or 5 turns seems to be a bit much. I think even with the second catch, it's still no more then a turn or two.

Can't beat a Muscle Chuck. Have one on my Ridgid table mounted router. On the handhelds, I don't mine using the two wrenches or the spindle lock and one wrench.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I've got a hitachi, dewalt and worx (cheap brand) but all have the 'loosen twice' chuck.

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
Chris , have you heard of the Muscle Chuck ? Seems like a good product if yours is giving you trouble .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts