Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I recently bought a 2-bit tongue and groove set. It stated fits most routers. my older Ryobi 2 hp shaft is to shallow to be able to seat the bits properly. the manufacturer warned that if the bit isn't low enough it can bend. but nowhere mentions that these bits have shanks that are about twice as long as all my other bits. Now what? What can I do?

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,064 Posts
So, I recently bought a 2-bit tongue and groove set. It stated fits most routers. my older Ryobi 2 hp shaft is to shallow to be able to seat the bits properly. the manufacturer warned that if the bit isn't low enough it can bend. but nowhere mentions that these bits have shanks that are about twice as long as all my other bits. Now what? What can I do?
A photograph of the bit in the router will elicit more/better replies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You may be able to fabricate an auxiliary base out of 12 mm or 18 mm plywood to take up some of the extra shaft length.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,945 Posts
As long is the bit is fully passed through the Collett it will be held securely. If you are worried about side loading the long bit too much, you can make the cut in two passes by shimming the fence. Do not insert the bit so far that it bottoms out against the shaft. This will prevent the collet from grabbing it securely and could damage the bit shank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.