Router Forums banner

Bits for a plunge router-where to go for info

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  OPG3 
#1 ·
Hi,
I just got Bosch MRC23EVSK Modular Router System as a gift and I have never owned a Plunge Router. I have read that you need different bits. Also I am a weekend wood worker and I don't much router experience, are there any sites on the web where someone can read and see more on routers, I have a couple of books but they are very general. Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
A plunge router can use any router bit that has a shank that fits its collet(ie 1/2" shank bits in a 1/2" collet). Your MRC23 should have came with both a 1/4" and 1/2" collets.

Plunge cutting, on the other hand is best done with a bit that is designed to cut on the bottom as well as the sides. Any router bit catalog will have many examples of these. Plunge cutting is when you start the router motor and then plunge the spinning bit into the work piece. I have done plunge cutting with most types of straight bits. One thing to keep in mind, is not to cut any deeper than the diameter of the bit in one pass!

Many, if not most edgeforming bits are unsuitable for plunge cutting, but can still be used in a plunge router locked to a fixed depth.

#3 ·
Hi Ric - Welcome to the forum:)
VERY nice gift.... congratulations. :D
Like Duane indicated, plunge cutting requires a bit with a cutter across the bottom. Most straight bits can be plunged by moving the router WHILE plungeing. Example would be hinge mortise bits. All spiral bits that I know of will plunge just fine, it's the straight bits you need to watch. Here is a link to some pretty good illustrations of what you need to look for:
MLCS Plunge Cutting Straight Router Bits

There are some profile bits designed for plungeing but they are usually indicated as such. :)

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum, Ric.

Tons of information in the forum and also many videos on youtube.

Some members advocate buying the cutters that you need for each project others advocate buying a small set of cutters and using the various cutters for practice to see what the router will do.

Remember to practice your cuts first before you attack that expensive piece of walnut....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.