Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been in the shop finishing up Christmas request. Had two black oak boards. I ended up making a wooden box and two wooden baskets. The box is about 4 1/2" high by 9 1/2" * 12 1/2". The lid pivots on two brass 1/8" diameter rods that are about 2" long that are inserted through the sides. The two baskets are about 4 1/2" high by 8" * 10". One has a cherry handle and a cherry bottom. The other those two parts are made of mahogany. The finish is my usual of Zar polyurethane diluted with 50 / 50 mineral spirits that is applied with the paper blue shop towels.

Malcolm / Kentucky USA

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
6,915 Posts
I like the box. And the Easter Bunny should love the basket.

Reactions: Roy Drake

·
Super Moderator
John
6,835 Posts
Very nice Malcolm love the look of the black oak

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Very nice Malcolm. Like some of the other guys I haven't heard of black oak and I agree with others it looks like white oak. Black oak and white oak do have some nice looking grain when cut right.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The splines on the corners really set the boxes off. What finish did you use?

Always a pleasure to view your projects.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The finish is my usual of Zar polyurethane diluted with 50 / 50 mineral spirits that is applied with the paper blue shop towels.

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
I am just gobsmacked by the grain in that wood . I don’t believe I’ve seen anything more beautiful. Fantastic work as always Malcolm!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts