Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right sub forum to post this.

I have a customer that wants me to route out his logo and blind mount it onto a large stone (I think it is sandstone because it was sandblasted at one time). What I've came up with is cnc riuting 2 logos for each side out of 6mm ACP & drilling counter sunk holes into the back logo then mounting anchors into the stone & bolting the back logo sold then using some type of epoxy to mount the front logo to the back logo. All hardware MUST BE stainless I don't want it to rust.

My questions does this sound like the most perminate way to do this?

Will the sandstone hold the anchors? & what are the best anchors to use in sandstone for durability?

What type of adhesive / epoxy would be best to mount the 2 logos together? I dont want to see a gap between the 2 pieces. Has anyone ever used any of the Lords adhesives?

Thank you
Gary

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes for the Lord... Maxlok MX/T18 - Scuff & clean well the surface prior to. MX/T3 & 6 have short working time & dry fast.
You'll need the dispenser gun & mixing straws (get extra straws). Worth it for future use.
After using MX, cap it & keep refridgerated, it will last longer as the shelf life less than a year AFAIK.

Hilti anchors?

Stainless Steel & Aluminum together will corrode.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, What color is the Lord's? How long of a working time does the MX/T18 have? Will it need clamped until it dries?

Will it work to mount the anchors to the stone?

Any ideas on creating the standoffs?

Am I right that the corrosion with aluminum & stainless will only occur on raw aluminum?

The ACP will have a backed enamel finish, we always use stainless to install ACP signs and have never had any issues

Thanks again.

·
Registered
487 Posts
For us its been a dark grey and working time is ~20 mins
Clamps, weight or tape. Vertical gluing needs a creative approach.
Standoffs? For folded pan face style we would CNC cut Sintra/PVC
so it doesnt collapse depending on application.

Another way, 1/4" pin locations.
On the back logo face side go halfway lets say 1/4"dia.
On the front logo on the back side go half way w/ 1/4"dia. - Use a small 1/4" dowel/rod to align in place.
Use whatever you have on hand.

Just like when you do 2-sided routing in VCarve and register in the spoilboard. Know what I mean?
It registers the logo to the back panel but you'd still have to clamp it however.

As for the corriding, I fig'd you knew this but I wrote it anyways.
The sides of ACP/SS can & would corrode eventually & probably wouldnt
be noticeable for a long time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the bare edges of the acp. I understand what you mean about the pinning. I have not done any 2 sided routing because I have a vacuum table & I do not want to drill into the spoil board.

I'm planning on using 6mm ACP so I'd only be able to drill 1/8" deep pockets for the pins but I think that would be enough to hold them together while the lords dries.

Now to figure out mouting the anchors to the stone

Thanks a lot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.