1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made two for Xmas prezzies.
1)...end grain Narra with Purpleheart 'crenellations '
2)... end grain Walnut with Purpleheart bands

No idea why the camera doesn't see the Purplheart colour the way it appears to the human eye but it doesn't look anything like it does in the pics. It actually looks much darker and way more subtle. (?)

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Sweet!!!

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Could be the type of light in the room also . Led lights have a surplus of blue effecting the outcome . I prefer halogen

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
But why would anyone want to cut on it?? Those are wallhangers!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I'd be hard pressed to put a knife on that...Beeeeuutiful...

Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Gorgeous boards. Thanks for sharing. Will be back to see more replies regarding the lighting and photos.
Edit: Looked at stick's link on photo shop. Interesting.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Dan, my hat, my clothes and or anything else are to you, you do have a talent for beauty. As mentioned before, I think the lighting is stealing a bit of color from you. But none the less, what you have created is most impressive. On a scale of 1 to 10, the rating is off the top at 12

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hello!

Irfanview is great!

Getting good picture at first is far better.

The best way to get good colours with digital camera is:

1) to switch off automatic colour balance,set it to natural light or artificial light(tungsten or incandescent) , whatever you will use.
Avoid fluo lights they give unpredictable rendering.

Now the program stops crazy interfering with the colours the camera catches.

Half press on picture button to set exposure while shooting at medium gray kodak chart,illuminated by same light than your subject.
If no Kodak card, just paint a medium tone neutral grey on cardboard.
(you then get the right exposure for the light you are using).

keep finger half pressed , then shoot the picture , most cameras would keep same exposure.

If not , manual mode is a good option, but longer to explain.

Regards
gg

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gerard; that's very helpful...I've printed it out. I do have a grey card, a reminder of my sorely missed 35mm film days.
David; yes, soaked in mineral oil, let dry, then mineral oil+beeswax and buffed. Easiest finish in the World, and food-safe.
I tell my giftees, "Use it or I'm coming over to your house and taking it back!" . I also give them a small jar of the Board Butter to maintain them (the boards, not the giftees; what they do in private is their business... ;) )

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. To be honest, the trees should get the credit, eh?

Here's a link to Narra wood furniture pictures, mostly in the Philippines.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=narra+fur...ywood.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/photo_5.jpg

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Very well done Dan. Hopefully they will indeed be put to use as that completes the gift.

I would appreciate knowing the dimensions, particularly relative to the juice groove.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Those are beauties. I wonder if the purpleheart could be fluorescing a bit? It does seem to light up in the photo.

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
Beautiful boards! Re Irfanview: Excellent program. Use it all the time. To keep pictures from going in sideways, I open it in Irfan view, crop or correct colors or contrast, and save it with a name. If it's turned, I turn it up correctly first, save under a descriptive name, then make any corrections. The double saving seems to straighten up the whole thing.

Regarding lighting: I used to have a multiple strobe setup, one of which lit the background to a level about equal to the foreground. Digital pictures usually work better without too much contrast (blacks are not as deep as with film. I found some battery operated 40 led, rechargeable video lights cheap on Amazon. A small adapter lets me mount them on a stand via a 1/4 x 20 bolt. They come with a diffuser and provide easily controlled, daylight balanced light. I don't think I paid more than $20 each. My 40 year old strobe setup (using a strobe meter) just doesn't work with my Nikon digital cameras.

Did photography (journalism/PR/illustration) for a living for a number of years.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts