Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a small boat motor stand for a 73 evinrude 9.5. My boy said try harbor freight but they didn't have one and I don't want to pay $70. The motor os on its side and I want to get it upfprihpght before I start working on it.

Any plans on the internet for this?

·
Registered
860 Posts
If you plan to run the motor in a garbage can make it tall enough. I made one for a 10hp using 2"x 6". Plenty strong and lightweight. One board for a transom attached to tee shaped uprights on each side. I could run engine at idle in neutral without getting wet.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I bought the boat the guy said the old motor ran 10 years ago before he parked it. So far everything on the boat he said works has. I have no doubt with a little cleaning and replacement of the obvious the motor will run.
Grass Watering can Iron Groundcover Cart
Groundcover Fruit Herb

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen them. Just thought somebody has already made one and had a recomendation...

I seen break down models. But unsure..

Boy is looking for a metal one, but my guess if they have one they will keep it.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Durn kids, gotta do everything for you. Look up
How to Make Your Own Outboard Stand
on youtube. Folding, simple, scrap wood, by editor of Sail magazine.
And I have no idea why my computer is now typing large, dark, letters.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Already have before the original post..

Personally I like to look at verified builds by members. This way it just doesn't look good, it actually works....

Last thing I want is my motor falling off or going sideways looking like a fish out of water on the concrete..

·
Registered
860 Posts
The stand I made was for running it in a garbage can... When I put it in gear... I got soaked with water. I was too cheap to buy the water adapter for a garden hose, and besides... they were for larger motors, and using one would have sprayed water all over any ways.

·
Super Moderator
509 Posts
I have two vintage 35hp Johnsons and at my other home, I built a stand
that would hold both motors on one stand with casters.

but, I have used the plain saw horse on occasion - just build it so the skeg is off the floor.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
My dad always used a 55 gal barrel to test his old Evinrude 9.5 he always told me they where easy to work on. I used to help him when I was young. It looked just like yours :) Sorta like an old Briggs and Stratton lawn mower. He always made sure the water pump was working. It is a rubber impeller and they sometimes fail. He would clean the points every year and replace the plugs. It has a magneto ignition they are pretty bullet proof. If you have no spark after cleaning the points the condensers sometimes fail from sitting around. I would think a modified sawhorse would work well. Sounds like a fun project. It brings back fond memories of my dad working on his outboard. The design John suggested looks good. My dads friend had one the looked like that. He used it for years I think he had a 35hp Johnson attached to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.