Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you guys don't measure ANYTHING so this thread is for everyone else :D :D :D

A while back I ordered one of these and have found it to be one of the best small investments I have made.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=53825&cat=1,43513

It is dead accurate and fantastic for repeatability. I have mine on a 12" metal ruler and have found it to be indispensible. It will spoil you fast.

Give one a try if you measure things..... you won't be sorry :sold:

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Bob

Like you I do use the ruler all the time I made one (Ruler Stop) for my 6ft & 8ft. Alum. ruler and my 4ft. Sq. Alum ruler I use on drywall/plywood ,4' x 8' :)
They work great, plus a end block for the 6ft & 8ft. ruler :)

If you want to see a snapshot of the ones I made just ask and I will post one.

Bj :)

Bob N said:
I know you guys don't measure ANYTHING so this thread is for everyone else :D :D :D

A while back I ordered one of these and have found it to be one of the best small investments I have made.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=53825&cat=1,43513

It is dead accurate and fantastic for repeatability. I have mine on a 12" metal ruler and have found it to be indispensible. It will spoil you fast.

Give one a try if you measure things..... you won't be sorry :sold:

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bj,

"If you want to see a snapshot of the ones I made just ask and I will post one."

You just like to hear me beg..... of course I'd like to see a pic :D ;)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Bob

snapshots below :) :)

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bj,

Somehow I just knew I'd like yours better :p

Nice job and these are extremely handy little gadgets.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,942 Posts
As they say Bobj3, necessity is the mother of invention, you sure do make some interesting devices.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Thanks Bob and Harry

I made them because I have a hard time marking the same spot on stock, the ruler has marks but the slide block mades it easy to mark the same spot over and over once it's set and locked in place. :)

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Thanks Mr. Noles, that is a neat little rule. I have looked at several of the Veritas items. they look like good products. I might have to add that to the wish list.

Bob, that a neat one you made, but then we would expect that.... no sucky stuff coming out of the Johnson shop! Thanks for the pics.

Good post Mr. Noles!

Corey

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Bob

Here's a snapshot of a small one I use from time to time it's more like the one you have from Lee Valley :)
It's made with plastic scrap I had in the shop and a old knob.

Attachments

·
2,392 Posts
bobj3 said:
Hi Bob

Here's a snapshot of a small one I use from time to time it's more like the one you have from Lee Valley :)
It's made with plastic scrap I had in the shop and a old knob.

Bob,

Cool ruler stops!!

Do any have a magnifier in there? :D
(just kidding) :)

You sure have a lot of things just laying around in your shop... Really NEAT / COOL things!

Thank you...

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Joe

Thanks,,,,,That's about the same thing my Boss tells me when she comes out to the shop but she calls it JUNK, "why do you keep all this junk" like the boxes full of Brass,Alum.Stainless,Steel,Plastic,Hardwood,Bolts,etc. it's hard for me to just trash it out when I can reuse it for many things :) she asked why do you have 120 lbs.of lead in the corner and I said I'm going fishing some day and I need to make a sinker or two :) :) :) I have all the tools ,I just need to fire up the pot and melt some lead some day :) :) LOL
The last time I made some sinkers I made about 2000 and gave most of them away , now I need some :) :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
bobj3 said:
That's about the same thing my Boss tells me when she comes out to the shop but she calls it JUNK, "why do you keep all this junk" like the boxes full of Brass,Alum.Stainless,Steel,Plastic,Hardwood,Bolts,etc. it's hard for me to just trash it out when I can reuse it for many things :) she asked why do you have 120 lbs.of lead in the corner and I said I'm going fishing some day and I need to make a sinker or two :) :) :) I have all the tools ,I just need to fire up the pot and melt some lead some day :) :) LOL
The last time I made some sinkers I made about 2000 and gave most of them away , now I need some :) :) Bj :)

I'm the same way. I just can't throw anything away. I always look at something and think there will be something I can do with that. I don't care what the heck it is. I save any nut, bolt, screw, washer. If I buy something, and there is a little bracket or connector, it's a save. LOML says the same thing about pitching the "junk". When it comes time to fix something and I go into my "saves" and come up with the invention of the day for the problem, I just say to her "And you wanted me to throw it away".

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi niki

Thanks, and thanks for posting the pictures , it made a light bulb go off in my head, I have some channel Alum. that can be use it the same way as your pictures. :)
Just need to drill and tap a hole in the side of it....and use a thumb screw...for clamping the Alum.in place....
This one of the times a picture is worth a 1000 words... :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks BJ

I'm happy that the pics gave you an idea.

Those in the pics are made of Brass and together with the ruler I paid $10 for the 12" ruler, $15 for the 24" and $20 for the 39" (1 Meter) but when I bought them separately, I paid $10 a piece,

Make the thumb screw, not less that 1/8" dia otherwise the screw is breaking very easily....don't ask me how I know....

Regards
niki

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,942 Posts
Did everyone notice that Niki didn't have a single one of those strange, difficult to interpret imperial rulers?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Harry

I did, but I think he said he was in Republic of Poland and I was wondering how he can read/use the strange and difficult metic rulers without a user manual :) :) :) LOL LOL

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi niki

You rang one more bell in my head when you said
"Make the thumb screw, not less that 1/8" dia otherwise the screw is breaking very easily....don't ask me how I know...."

I'm always trying to reinvent the wheel but many have done that for me :)
Not to many new items under the sun...

I'm not sure why it didn't ring a bell sooner I cut up one about 3 weeks ago to be used on my table saw,,,see snapshot below ▼
I use it to double check the cut b/4 I make it. :) (from the inside of the blade to the fence....)

Someone along time ago had the same error with the screw breaking off in a device to hold a horz.bar to a ruler, so he put a slot down the center of the ruler and used a 1/4" bolt with a hook on it to hold the device inplace. :)
In that way it would not break off easy....and would not destroy the ruler.

H7553 6" Adjustable Double Square
http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7553

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g5725

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g3778

-----------------

simplenik said:
Thanks BJ

I'm happy that the pics gave you an idea.

Those in the pics are made of Brass and together with the ruler I paid $10 for the 12" ruler, $15 for the 24" and $20 for the 39" (1 Meter) but when I bought them separately, I paid $10 a piece,

Make the thumb screw, not less that 1/8" dia otherwise the screw is breaking very easily....don't ask me how I know....

Regards
niki

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
BJ
I broke a few when I did not tight the screw and the Brass stop slipped from the ruler and hit the concert.

I made new thread and used 1/8" screw (bolt) with nuts for easy turning and since than non of them broke.

Hey BJ, it took me 2 minutes to understand what is "B/4".
I'm using one of the rulers with mag. glass that you can see on the 3rd and 4th pics.

niki

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts